cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 80D LP-E6N battery not fully charging

Imsandy
Apprentice
I’ve been using canon 80d for past 3 years and I’ve been using it occasionally. I haven’t touched my camera for around 2 months recently and I noticed the battery discharged completely. These batteries are from original packing. Again when I charged, the light in charger turns green very quickly and when I put battery in camera it shows only 2 bars. I’ve been trying it again and again but every time I notice it is only partially charged. What does it mean? Does the battery life come to end? What went wrong with batteries?
17 REPLIES 17

"They came with original kit."

OK, that is meaningless if you bought it from a off line retailer that was not a Canon USA dealer.  "They came with original kit", what exactly does that mean? Did you get a bunch of stuff with it?  They put all sorts of crap together to maximize their profit.

Perhaps it is a real deal Canon USA, if so it has failed.  You need to buy a new battery first to see if that fixes your situation.  Then a charger if the new battery doesn't help.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Imsandy
Apprentice
Ok I’ll try the new battery and/or charger thing. Thank you all for suggestions.

Btw, I purchased the camera and battery kit from Costco USA. I hope they should be genuine.

@Imsandy wrote:
Ok I’ll try the new battery and/or charger thing. Thank you all for suggestions.

Btw, I purchased the camera and battery kit from Costco USA. I hope they should be genuine.

Not my first choice.  I have found that electronic gear at those big box stores is frequently in an open box condition.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"I purchased the camera and battery kit from Costco USA"

Probably OK.  It had a Canon USA warranty card included? That's all that is important as it proves it is a real deal Canon USA camera. Canon support number is 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Lithium Ion batteries are in many ways less "picky" than some other rechargeable battery technologies but they have a definite lifespan which can easily be shortened by improper usage and care.  When storing for long periods of time you want the charge to be at around 50% and if unused for a long period of time the charge should be brought back up to the 50% range as continuing maintenance during long periods of storage.  Consistently putting the battery into storage when charged to 70% or greater OR 30% or less will significantly reduce its usable lifespan.

Here is a good "plain English" guideline to Lithium Ion battery operation from leading test and measurements company Tektronix.  If the link violates forum guidelines and is removed then do a google search for: Newark Tektronix lithium ion pdf  and you will get the proper result.

https://www.newark.com/pdfs/techarticles/tektronix/LIBMG.pdf

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@wq9nsc wrote:

.... leading test and measurements company Tektronix. 

Tektronix.  Now that name is a blast from the distant past.  Ever use one of their space heaters?

8E87E074-7566-4756-9333-325E1C02D741.jpeg

Seriously, a couple of these old oscilloscopes could heat a room.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Wadizzle,

I own and use several different Tektronix scopes and my least "green" one is a Type 555 true dual beam scope with dual plug in vertical channels and dual plug in time bases.  The power supply sits on the bottom of the scopemobile cart and both are loaded with vacuum tubes and cooled by separate very large fans.  In operation the 555 draws close to one kilowatt.  It is still in perfect working order and like other 500 series lab scopes it is reliable and easy to maintain although adjusting the lumped constant delay line is a tedious process.

My primary bench scope is a pair of somewhat newer Tektronix 7854 scopes although I do also have a smaller but less capable new Tektronix LCD screen scope that is convenient but there are times when I need the versatility of the multiple plug-ins which provide so much versatility with the older models.

Nobody wrote better technical manuals that the folks in Beaverton and Tektronix documentation puts most other manuals to shame in terms of content, organization, and overall clarity.  The construction quality of the older scopes was also a thing of beauty with their ceramic strips with silver contact points and in the interior photo of the 555 you can see the roll of special silver bearing solder that Tektronix shipped inside of each of their instruments.  It was truly a world class organization from design through manufacturing and customer followup.

Rodger

Tektronix Type 555.JPG

Tektronix 555 inside.JPG

Tektronix 7854.JPG

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

I use to use that "HOG" every day at work (45 years ago).  Use to work on "Big Iron" computers.  What fun.

Announcements