cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 80D. Camera taking to long to write a picture

Miguelismo
Contributor
Hello
I bought a Canon 80D in the end of 2017. It has been working fine. Today started acting weird. When I take a picture it takes a long time to save the picture and let me take another one, like more than 30 seconds (in raw)!!! Even in JPEG it takes lots of seconds. I take a photo and the red light stays on, th screen black and I can only continue using it after the red light goes off. I indeed changed a few things in the past hours, but nothing that would make it act like this (plus I changed to factory settings and it's the same problem): I was shooting in raw + JPG and I changed to only raw to save space. This supposly would make things to process faster (I guess), but then this problem started.
The noise reduction is set to off. I changed the settings to factory. Maybe the problem is the card, but I bought this card when I bought the camera and have never experienced this.
Can someone help me?
Thank you 🙂
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Miguelismo wrote:
I tried to get a different card to see if I would get a different result. I manged to get a card that is a lot cheaper and old, it has 4gb and lower class and speed, but it can indeed produce better results. In raw it took like 4 seconds or so to be ready to take another picture. Mine would take 30+ seconds as mentioned above. So it seems that the problem is the card as you guys suspected. What should I do with it? It is the only one I have right now and I will spend 4 days in trip and would like to use it.

Save any files that you are on the card and use the camera to perform a low level format.  Search for the menu that formats the memory card.  It should be in one of the Wrench menu screens.

If a low level does not help it, then toss it.  You may want to do a low level format on both cards, too.  Carry both cards on your trip.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Miguelismo
Contributor
Thank you all for your suggestions. I did a low level format and it seems the camera/card is working well.
Just to make sure, when purchase a new sd card I should do a low level format, only after should I use it?

@Miguelismo wrote:
Thank you all for your suggestions. I did a low level format and it seems the camera/card is working well.
Just to make sure, when purchase a new sd card I should do a low level format, only after should I use it?

You should always format a new card in the camera.  If you swap cards between bodies, reformat again.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

noahmcturner
Apprentice
I’m kind of hijacking this thread in case anyone else has this issue as well.

I had an issue similar to this a few days ago: I do astrophotography so I take long exposures. When I was framing my shots I discovered that it would take as long to save the picture, as the exposure itself. Ex: 30” exposure would take 30 seconds to save. 10” would take 10 seconds to save. This of course, is very inconvenient when I want to take 100 of these long exposures over the course of an hour.

I tried a brand new high speed sd card, reformatting the old one, trying manual vs automatic. Nothing seemed to work until I gave up and factory reset my camera as a last ditch effort and that seemed to solve all of my issues.

Downside being you have to go back and change every setting you’ve ever changed.

I’m still not sure what was going on, but at least I know the fix in case I come across this in the future.

For long exposures, the default if for the camera to take another exposure, with the same exposure time, with the shutter closed to get a dark frame - i.e., looking for hot pixels which are subtracted from the original frame.

There is an option to turn this off.

noahmcturner
Apprentice
I don’t think that was the issue. I have a very basic Nikon D3500 so there’s nothing much for long exposures other than noise reduction, which I keep off. It was going well, saving like normal (1sec max) until suddenly it wasn’t LOL then mid shoot it started taking forever. I’m not familiar with any dslr’s that would do that, what camera were you thinking about.

I think most Canon's do it. Here is the manual entry for my Rebel (My T3i did it to)

noise1.jpg

noise2.jpg

It is also called "dark frame subtraction"

noahmcturner
Apprentice
Interesting. I just tried it and that was exactly like it was in the field. I’ve always wondered what it was, but never played with it. In my camera though it’s just labeled as “noise reduction” so I figured it just messed with the ISO noise after the photo was taken similar to in post in Lightroom or something similar. Rather than anything to do with long exposures specifically.

Now I just have to figure out how it got turned on and make sure it’s off next time.

Thanks for the help
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements