cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 80D. Camera taking to long to write a picture

Miguelismo
Contributor
Hello
I bought a Canon 80D in the end of 2017. It has been working fine. Today started acting weird. When I take a picture it takes a long time to save the picture and let me take another one, like more than 30 seconds (in raw)!!! Even in JPEG it takes lots of seconds. I take a photo and the red light stays on, th screen black and I can only continue using it after the red light goes off. I indeed changed a few things in the past hours, but nothing that would make it act like this (plus I changed to factory settings and it's the same problem): I was shooting in raw + JPG and I changed to only raw to save space. This supposly would make things to process faster (I guess), but then this problem started.
The noise reduction is set to off. I changed the settings to factory. Maybe the problem is the card, but I bought this card when I bought the camera and have never experienced this.
Can someone help me?
Thank you 🙂
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Miguelismo wrote:
I tried to get a different card to see if I would get a different result. I manged to get a card that is a lot cheaper and old, it has 4gb and lower class and speed, but it can indeed produce better results. In raw it took like 4 seconds or so to be ready to take another picture. Mine would take 30+ seconds as mentioned above. So it seems that the problem is the card as you guys suspected. What should I do with it? It is the only one I have right now and I will spend 4 days in trip and would like to use it.

Save any files that you are on the card and use the camera to perform a low level format.  Search for the menu that formats the memory card.  It should be in one of the Wrench menu screens.

If a low level does not help it, then toss it.  You may want to do a low level format on both cards, too.  Carry both cards on your trip.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

@Miguelismo wrote:
Hello
I bought a Canon 80D in the end of 2017. It has been working fine. Today started acting weird. When I take a picture it takes a long time to save the picture and let me take another one, like more than 30 seconds (in raw)!!! Even in JPEG it takes lots of seconds. I take a photo and the red light stays on, th screen black and I can only continue using it after the red light goes off. I indeed changed a few things in the past hours, but nothing that would make it act like this (plus I changed to factory settings and it's the same problem): I was shooting in raw + JPG and I changed to only raw to save space. This supposly would make things to process faster (I guess), but then this problem started.
The noise reduction is set to off. I changed the settings to factory. Maybe the problem is the card, but I bought this card when I bought the camera and have never experienced this.
Can someone help me?
Thank you 🙂

"Maybe the problem is the card"? Then try a different card. It's usually a good idea to try the simple fixes first.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Miguelismo
Contributor
"Then try a different card" I'm in the middle of nowhere in a different country, in a very rural area. I will, as soon as possible, try that idea. I was hoping that I could fix this without having to purchase another card (I can't right now because there are no shops nearby, maybe in a few days).

@Miguelismo wrote:
"Then try a different card" I'm in the middle of nowhere in a different country, in a very rural area. I will, as soon as possible, try that idea. I was hoping that I could fix this without having to purchase another card (I can't right now because there are no shops nearby, maybe in a few days).

Long Exposure Noise Reduction and High ISO Noise Reduction can cause the camera to take more time to write to the card.

I agree with Bob.  The first thing to check is the card.  Are you using a full size card? 

What brand, model, and GB capacity are you using?  Did you format the card in the camera prior to first use?  If not, then you need to do a “low level format” using the camera.

Miguelismo
Contributor
Kingston, 32gb, class 10, U1

I didnt format the card prior to first use. Should I do it now? What is a low level format?

@Miguelismo wrote:
Kingston, 32gb, class 10, U1

I didnt format the card prior to first use. Should I do it now? What is a low level format?

Not my first choice for brands.  Stick to Lexar or Sandisk. I use Sandisk Extreme or Extreme Pro [UHS-1 card]..

If you go into the camera menus you will find the option to format the card.  Select it.  Check the box for low level format.  You only need to perform a low level format once, prior to first use.  If a card starts misbehaving, reformat it again, or toss it in the garbage.

Miguelismo
Contributor
It is also a full size sd card

Miguelismo
Contributor
I tried to get a different card to see if I would get a different result. I manged to get a card that is a lot cheaper and old, it has 4gb and lower class and speed, but it can indeed produce better results. In raw it took like 4 seconds or so to be ready to take another picture. Mine would take 30+ seconds as mentioned above. So it seems that the problem is the card as you guys suspected. What should I do with it? It is the only one I have right now and I will spend 4 days in trip and would like to use it.

@Miguelismo wrote:

Save any files that you are on the card and use the camera to perform a low level format.  Search for the menu that formats the memory card.  It should be in one of the Wrench menu screens.

If a low level does not help it, then toss it.  You may want to do a low level format on both cards, too.  Carry both cards on your trip.

Yes.  Remember formatting the card deletes everything on the card, though.  Get the images off first.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements