cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 80D + 70-200mm f/4 IS USM. Did I make a mistake?

Eusadnama
Apprentice

Getting back into photography. Upgraded from a Nikon D40 to Canon 80D. Didn’t yet know about crop sensors. Going to Iceland and knew the kit lens (18-55mm) was subpar (right? Or no?) and wanted something phenomenal. Then found the 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM. Did research on it and saw how amazing it was. The f/2.8 was too expensive for me, not to mention I’m not a pro, but wanted a good zoom lens that will last and hold up to years of abuse. 

Fast forward 2 days and hours of YouTube videos later, and am wondering if what I’ve done is a complete waste of money, seeming as though this f/4 will never be an f/4 if I have to multiple focal length AND aperture by 1.6, which gives me f/6.4. Low light photographs will be impossible or what? And 112-320mm zoom sounds like super zoom now. Doesn’t that really limit the type of photos you can take? The camera is super nice, but was this like buying a mI’d range car and putting super expensive hubcaps and speakers, etc on it? I was under the impression that a camera is only as good as the lens you’re shooting through because the camera doesn’t matter, the lens matters. But I don’t understand what lenses to buy with crop sensors.  

Lens arrives tomorrow. Taking it to the zoo for testing. Any thoughts I’d appreciate. I’m really interested in learning more. 

7 REPLIES 7

The 1.6 "crop factor" has nothing to do with aperture; your lens is still an f/4.

At any zoom setting, your lens, used on your 80D, will give you a certain "angle of view". All the 1.6 factor tells you is that to  get the same angle of view on a full-frame camera, you'd need a lens 1.6 times as long. To put it in simplest terms, it says that your lens is more of a telephoto on your 80D than it is on a FF camera. If you don't own a FF camera, that information is probably of no interest to you.

That said, a 70- 200mm lens is a fairly powerful telephoto on an 80D, and you probably wouldn't want it to be your only lens on your trip to Iceland. It's great for pictures of distant mountains and glaciers, not so much for walking around the countryside photographing houses and barns. So turn your attention to finding an affordable "walkaround" lens for your trip. The EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS would be an excellent choice. It's popular and has been around for a while, so you might be able to find a refurbished copy at the Canon on-line store. Canon refurbs have a good reputation and come with a good warranty.

Others in the forum will tell you about other choices, so pay attention to them too. But don't feel that you've wasted your money; you have a fine camera and a fine lens.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

The current version of the 18-55 kit lens is not a bad lens at all, and is reasonably sharp.  I use a variety of lenses with my 80D, but find the basic 18-135 to be a fine all around lens.  It has good optical performance, is lightweight, and has a very usable focal length range.  L glass is higher quality, but don't dismiss the much lower priced kit lenses.

As Robert mentioned, the Canon refurb store is an excellent source for heavily discounted and fully warrantied gear.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

This is the best advise you will ever get about your 80D !

"If you don't own a FF camera, that information is probably of no interest to you."

You bought a great lens.  Stop exploring Youtube. Just go use and learn and enjoy your new lens.  It is FF on your camera, meaning what you see in your viewfinder is exactly the photo you will get.

The 70-200mm should be a nice lens for the Zoo.  It will put the animals right up close.  It is still a bit short for hard core birding, however.

"Doesn’t that really limit the type of photos you can take?"

No not really.  Only you limit what type photos you can take. I like and encourage the idea of the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens however your kit lens will work.  It downside is it is a slow variable aperture and not built well.

" I have to multiple focal length AND aperture by 1.6, which gives me f/6.4"

Nonsense, don't waste your time reading that person again.  When you mount the lens on your 80D does it not report f4 ?  Case closed.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Do you know that the D40 is also a crop camera? Which lenses did you use with your D40?

The 70-200 f/4 IS is a great lens but it is a telephoto lens and will not be very useful for general photography. The 18-55 kit lens is a good lens and works well as a general purpose lens. 

The 18-135 STM  or 18-135 USM are both very good general purpose, one lens solutions.

If you don’t mind changing lenses, the 10-18 STM and 55-250 STM are two compact and lightweight lenses that make great additions to a general purpose lens for a complete travel setup.

Mike Sowsun

@MikeSowsun wrote:

Do you know that the D40 is also a crop camera? Which lenses did you use with your D40?

The 70-200 f/4 IS is a great lens but it is a telephoto lens and will not be very useful for general photography. The 18-55 kit lens is a good lens and works well as a general purpose lens. 

Did not know the Nikon D40 was a crop camera. I mostly used Program with the 18-55 kit lens and loved the photos I took with  it for 10 years. Thank you for the help. I saw today that the 70-200mm will definitely not be great for walking around town. 

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Stop exploring Youtube. Just go use and learn and enjoy your new lens.  It is FF on your camera, meaning what you see in your viewfinder is exactly the photo you will get.

The 70-200mm should be a nice lens for the Zoo.  It will put the animals right up close.  It is still a bit short for hard core birding, however.

I like and encourage the idea of the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens however your kit lens will work. 

Nonsense, don't waste your time reading that person again.  When you mount the lens on your 80D does it not report f4 ?  Case closed.

I watched many Tony Northrop reviews and tutorials. He, among a few others, planted the x1.6 aperture notion. Today I found a million vids on why that’s wrong haha. So I thank you all for the clarifications. 

After freaking out I had a broke lens because of the constant grinding IS noise, I took some nice photos with that lens. It does report f/4, thank you. I purchased the new Canon nifty fifty f/1.8 and for now, I’ll quit with lens purchases and hope I’m covered for Iceland and other summer vacations. The suggested Canon lens had a $800 price tag I believe, but it’s next on the list. 

Thanks so so much for your help. 

"I watched many Tony Northrop reviews and tutorials."

Yeah, Tony pretty much blew that one.  Usually he's pretty good and if you want to watch somebody he is a good one.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements