cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 80 D File Type

acortazzo
Apprentice

Hi all - just got an 80D and was taking some pictures of the milky. Caught a few good ones, but when I went to import to adobe lightroom, it said file type not supported (.CR is what its showing). I set RAW categery to "RAW" + JPEG category to "L" getting me RAW +L.

I'm using a lightroom version that's 3 years old. Any tips for getting this working would be appreciated.

TIA!

AC

7 REPLIES 7

Johnw1
Enthusiast
That LR is too old. You will need to upgrade. In the mean time use Canon's DPP 4. It is going to open it.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@acortazzo wrote:

Hi all - just got an 80D and was taking some pictures of the milky. Caught a few good ones, but when I went to import to adobe lightroom, it said file type not supported (.CR is what its showing). I set RAW categery to "RAW" + JPEG category to "L" getting me RAW +L.

I'm using a lightroom version that's 3 years old. Any tips for getting this working would be appreciated.

TIA!

AC

Exactly which version of LR are you running?  I bought LR6 three years ago, it runs 80D and 6D2 files without issue.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Adobe stops supplying “Camera RAW” updates for new camera models when they come out with newer versions of Lightroom.

Since Adobe doesn’t “sell” Lightroom anymore, the only way to get an update is to subscribe to their photography suite (Lightroom CC, Photoshop CC, and a few other minor apps).  It’s $120/year ($10/month but they won’t let you subscribe for less than 1 year terms).

That software will only work as long as the subscription is active.  If you cancel the subscription the software reverts to a read-only mode (you can open your existing images, but you can’t make any changes.)

A sort-of workaround is that Adobe WILL let you convert the RAW (any RAW) to a “.DNG” (DNG = Adobe’s “Digital NeGative”) by download the Adobe DNG converter (which is free) and all Adobe software will open Adobe DNG files.

The reason I call this a “sort of” workaround is because while Adobe had hoped that the “DNG” will take-over as a universal standard... it hasn’t worked out that way.  Only Adobe supports the “DNG” format.  So once you convert to a DNG, nothing else will open it (if you ever decide to switch to some other software, it will not accept the DNG files — so SAVE YOUR .CR2 files even if you don’t use them.). Otherwise it’s a “roach motel” model ... images go IN... but they never come OUT again. (You have been warned!)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

What TCampbell states is 100% correct, and why I went with PhootLab.  Have 100% native support for my body and correction for all of my 3rd party lenses without Camera RAW (perpetual) or subscription to CC.  But I do not discont that LR is a great product.  Just didn't work for me.     

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Any tips for getting this working would be appreciated."

Mostly what has bed said is true perhaps not constructed in a positive light though.  Dng is Adobe's cross platform conversion file.  Digital Negative. Works with anybodies Raw files.  It doesn't alter your original file so rest asured you have lost nothing.  Dng is essentially still a Raw file.  If you decide to use it you can (probably can) use your verison of LR.  You really do need LR6, however.  Coverting a Raw file to dng has advatages like edits are stored in the dng and not a side car, xmp tag file.  All edits are done on the dng and not on the original Raw file.  The only real negative thing is, like Tim mentioned, dng has not caught on like Adobe thought it would.  But if you are like me and use LR and PS exclusively that is not a issue either.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The key message if you decide to use DNG Converter to convert .CR2 files into .DNG files is... even though Lightroom wont use those .CR2 files and you might feel they are redundant... don't delete them.  You'll want to keep those original .CR2's around just in case you need to open the files in something else.

If you can afford the $120/yr annual subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud ... it is nice software (I do like Lightroom).  

Loads of programs will let me take any individual photo and adjust it to my liking.  What I want (that most software lacks) is the "Digital Asset Management" aspect.  

I like not having to worry about how to organize the files on my hard drive.  Lightroom (and Aperture before it) automatically manage this.  When you import a shoot, it has a whole folder heirarchy which organizes your shots based on date.  It creates a top level "Lightroom Masters" folder.  Inside that there's a sub-folder for each year (e.g. "2018").  Within that there's a folder for each day (e.g. "2018-07-24") which includes all the shots taken on that day.  But that's just the physical layout.

Logcially it allows you to create "Collections".  I have collections for some of my favorite shooting locations (all the shots taken at those locations ... regardless of when).  If you were a wedding photographer, you'd create a "collection" for each couple (e.g. the "Smith & Jones Wedding").

All of this is rapidly searchable and it auto-tags for many meta-data attributes (e.g. if I want to find all the photos I ever shot with my 5D III using my 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM lens specificaly at f/8 and a focal length range of 150-200mm.... that's actually a really EASY search (it'll find everything you ever shot that matches your criteria). 

But mostly when I import, I quickly go through to eliminate obvious rejects (e.g. someone was blinking in that photo, etc.).  I then tell it to show me all un-ranked images and I start ranking them from 1-5 stars.  Most images get 3 stars.  If the shot is "technically" ok but for some reason I don't like it... I'll down-rank it to 1-2 stars.  If I really like the shot I'll up-rank it to 4 stars and if I'm really happy, I'll give it 5 stars.    This then allows me to filter the view to show only shots that got 3 stars or more.  I'll focus attention on adjusting those shots and ignore the rest.

As I apply adjustments like "white balance"... every shot taken in that same light should get the same white balance.  So there are loads of these "global adjustments" that can be applied not just to one shot... but to every shot taken in the series.  You get to "sync" those changes (adjust the first shot, then select the rest, and tell it to "sync"... you get a menu asking what sorts of things you want to sync.)

I can apply meta-data keywords, etc. to make things more searchable, etc.

MOST software is centered around the adjustments you can make to the photos... but not the "management" of all the photos.  When you've been shooting for a few years and the number of photos starts to pile up... the management of them is an important feature. 

E.g. when I want to find those photos I took when I was in Hawaii... but I don't recall the exact date when I was in Hawaii (so searching the folders based on dates is going to take a long time)... it's SOOO much easier to just use the geolocation tags and ask Lightroom to show me all the photos I took when I was in Hawaii (it literally displays a map of the world and you zoom in to the location to find your photos.)

Aperture was my favorite (but it's gone).  Lightroom is my next favorite (I don't like the sales model ... I'd rather own traditional perpetual software licenses where I buy it, install it, and use it for as long as the computer OS can still run it).  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

" Lightroom is my next favorite (I don't like the sales model ... I'd rather own traditional perpetual software licenses where I buy it, install it, and use it..."

The big divide with Adobe.  You and I prefer owning the software although we never really own it we just buy a licence to run it.

However, Adobe has proven to be correct in their sales model of renting out LR/PS because their stock has gone up ever since.

I guess they could offer both ways but I don't see that  happening.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements