Canon Community Canon Community

VIP

Re: Canon 7d mkii and Tamron 150-600mm g2 lens

@Anjeanette41 wrote:
Tronhard,
Wow, those are some awesome bird shots.
Well, today for instance I was out shooting over a corn field and clear blue skies and got some shots of a red tailed hawk that was being chased by some crows. It was a bit further away but figured I would try anyway. I had my shutter speed at 1/2000 , aperture at f 9.0 and my iso was at 400. I do all my bird photography handheld. All my shots came out blurry. I used Ai servo , high speed continuous mode, with 1pt AF auto focus selection.

As far as me switching from sigma 150-600mm Contemporary lens to the Tamron 150-600mm g2 lens its because in order for me to get enough money to get my new camera I had to sell it and all my other lenses that I had and I figured that I would give tamron a try. I just had enough money after buying the camera because I just got a paycheck to get the tamron lens with the canon 7dmk ii. The sigma lens did ok, I had it for a while and figured I'd give another super telephoto lens a go.

I would recommend removing any filter, except for a Clear filter.  How far away were you?  Did you crop the photos?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
New Contributor

I don't use any filters. As far as how far I was, not sure but I had to zoom in to 600mm and on the review on my camera screen the red tailed hawk was still pretty small until I zoomed in. I haven't uploaded the photos yet to my pc but I can see that they are out of focus on the back of my camera.
VIP

It sounds like you may have been a bit too far away from the subject. Severe cropping can severely reduce resolution.

Also, shooting across a lot of water can distort light
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Forum Elite

If you were getting good shots with the Siggy use the very same settings for the Tamron. My personal preference when I am doing this work is set the lens to f8. I try to keep SS above 1/1000 and ISO in the 800 range. But whatever you did with the Sigma will work with the Tamron.

Always shoot Raw. Use LR and PS. I see no reason for any additional "sharpening" software. Don't over crop, get closer to your subject.  Remember you are not taking snapshots when you do BIF.

BTW, if anything the G2 Tamron just might be a teny, tiny bit sharper than the Sigma.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!