cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 7d mk1 keeps losing sharpness

ABBOTALE
Contributor

When working fine it produces very sharp images but ive noticed that after a while the images go soft? Its not any of my lenses as they are pin sharp on my other camera. I looked on the internet and found an item Take the small cmos battery out leave for 10mins reset time/date and it will be sharp again? Well that DOES work but after a while it happens again . SO has anyone else got any helpful tips

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@ABBOTALE wrote:

When working fine it produces very sharp images but ive noticed that after a while the images go soft? Its not any of my lenses as they are pin sharp on my other camera. I looked on the internet and found an item Take the small cmos battery out leave for 10mins reset time/date and it will be sharp again? Well that DOES work but after a while it happens again . SO has anyone else got any helpful tips

Resetting the camera can cure a number of ailments.  But, the most common cause of soft images is operator error.  So, post a couple of sample photos, which include EXIF data, that demonstrate a sharp and a soft image. 

Would a reset fix your issues?  Try it, and see.  I do not think you need to go as far as removing the clock battery.  There are at least three locations in the menus where you need to do a reset.  The custom controls have their own reset.  Other features like AFMA have their own reset, too.

I once read that turning on the camera with the battery removed, and holding the shutter fully pressed for at least 10 seconds can reset the stuff that the menus cannot.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Take the small cmos battery out leave for 10mins reset time/date and it will be sharp again?"

I used a couple 7D's for years.  Removing both batteries or all batteries (grip) will indeed reset the 7D. I can't see how that would make it sharp again.  Unless you always set something that effects sharpness every time.  You do need the leave all the batteries out for a period of time to let the circuitry drain all electricity out.

Are you shooting vids or stills?  I suppose after a while shooting vids the sensor could get hot and not do its job as well. I don't shoot video so I don't know for sure.

Samples would be nice to see.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Set up a test image and keep taking it. Once you "lose sharpness", look to see if there are any differences in the EXIF data, i.e. Aperture.

Announcements