cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 7d mark ii

gizzy
Apprentice

I recently bought a 7d mark ii camera. The firmware was factory set at 1.0.4. The most recent update for this camera is 1.1.3 dated from 11/21/20. I am not experienced at updating firmware on cameras so l would like to know if these updates are important on this particular camera . If not l would prefer not to do it . I am nervous that something will go wrong in the update and screw my camera up. Also, l would presume that only the 1.1.3 update would be used and l would not have to  install all updates going back to 1.0.4.  ?? Also, if the update is necessary is it safer to do it on a sd card or use the canon utility tool on my computer ?  Thank you for your help.

11 REPLIES 11

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

If you go to the Canon Support site, it will tell you what all the updates do, if they are not issues that affect you, there is no need to do the update.

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

There is no need to upgrade the firmware unless you want to take advantage of the "fixes" or "improvements" added by the firmware. If you do want to update, just go to the newest 1.1.3 version as it will include all previous versions. 

I like the simplicity of downloading the file directly to the root of the SD card. First you must download the zipped folder to your computer and then extract the actual firmware file. You then copy the firmware file to the root of your SD card.  Then run the update on your camera using a full battery. 

If this sounds intimidating, have someone else do the firmware upgrade for you, or just use your camera as is. 

You can download the firmware here:  https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-ca...

Firmware Version 1.1.3 incorporates the following fix:

1. Corrects a PTP communications vulnerability.
2. Corrects a vulnerability related to firmware update.

(The following is the history of past firmware updates)
Changes in Version 1.1.2:
Corrects the phenomenon in which remote shooting with the Camera Connect App is not possible after connecting the EOS 7D Mark II to a smartphone via the Wi-Fi Adapter W-E1.

*This phenomenon only occurs when the firmware was updated from Version 1.0.5 or earlier to Version 1.1.1.

Changes in Version 1.1.1:
1. Enhances reliability of communications when transferring images using Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E7 (A/B/C/D/E).
2. Corrects the phenomenon of Err70 which occurs with certain combinations of settings.
3. Corrects the phenomenon in which in very rare cases the shutter can no longer be released.
4. Enhances reliability of operations for specific custom function settings.

Changes in Version 1.1.0:
1. Support for Wi-Fi Adapter W-E1 has been added.
2. An option has been added which allows select STM lenses*1 to be retracted or remain extended when the power to the camera has been turned off. 
*1 EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, or EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM lenses

Changes in Version 1.0.5:
1. Improves AF accuracy when used in combination with the EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM lens or EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens.
2. Fixes a phenomenon in which, in very rare cases, the "Peripheral illumination correction" is applied inconsistently.
3. Fixes a phenomenon, in which, while performing an EF lens firmware update, the progress bar displayed on the LCD monitor may freeze at 100% even though the update has been completed.
4. Fixes a processing error in relation to the leap second for the "Geotag information appended to image" and "Log data" GPS functions.
5. Fixes a phenomenon, where at the time of shooting in very rare cases "Err 70" occurs, or the shutter does not release.

Please note:
After updating the firmware, you should reconfirm any AF Microadjustments you may have set for your 
EF 16-35mm f/2.8 USM or EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens.

Changes in Version 1.0.4:
1. Fixes a phenomenon whereby the AF does not operate properly at a focal length of about 100 mm when used in combination with an EF 70-200 mm F2.8L IS II USM lens.
2. Fixes a phenomenon in the AI servo AF whereby, in rare cases, a reduction in the flicker effect cannot be obtained when Flicker Reduction is set to "On". 
3. Fixes a phenomenon whereby the Picture Style settings are not reflected properly in custom shooting mode (C1/C2/C3).
4. Fixes a phenomenon whereby, in very rare cases, the shooting date/time in the shooting information of the first picture is not recorded correctly.
5. Fixes a phenomenon whereby, in very rare cases, when brightness or contrast is automatically corrected by the Auto Lighting Optimizer function, there is noise in JPEG images.

Mike Sowsun

@Gizzy,

The guys have given great advice.

Mike, has also provided details of the fixes incorporated since your FW version.  

My vote would be to update.  There are enough reasons to do so, primarily related to reliability enhancements.

Its absolutely possible that you will never experience any of the "fixed" issues, but if you do just once and you're out shooting, you'll wish you had.

There are only two ways to update reliably.  Both require using a in camera formatted SD card.

You can either download the FW manually, unzip and copy the file to the root of the card. or you can use the EOS Utility (camera connected via cable) to download and have it put the file on the card for you.

The file gets copied to the SD card either way before the flash occurs.  This removes the point of failure commonly associated with flashing something over a wireless connection or in real time where you are relying on the integrity and consistent stream of data for the flash.  Many devices use this method for flashing.  There is a risk with this since the file or integrity of the data can be effected by other variables. Not here however.        

It a simple process and is automatic for the most part, only requiring you to agree to the update prior to flashing.  Make sure you have a fully charged battery and are using a good quality SD card supported by your camera.  

If the camera is in good working order, its safe to proceed.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I agree with Shadow that there are a lot of improvements and fixes between the firmware in your camera and the current version and I would definitely update it.

Devices do "brick" when being upgraded but that is extremely rare when the simple procedure is followed and in the cases where it did "brick" there was very likely an underlying issue with the hardware that would have appeared in normal use.

I have done multiple firmware upgrades on my four Canon 1 series DSLRs, two 5DS series, and XF-400 camcorder without ever having an issue.

Always:  format the card in camera before starting.  NEVER use a micro SD card with adapter or any sort of card that requires an adapter.  Use a good, known, non-counterfeit card.

Start with a freshly charged, known good battery.  Never rely upon a line powered adapter for a firmware update because a power glitch is the surest way to create an issue that requires a trip to Canon to correct the failed firmware.

Once it starts, don't touch anything on the camera or move it around.  Have NOTHING connected to the camera, just the card inside with it running off battery power.

Parts of the firmware update will go very quickly and other parts go slowly.  It may appear to you that it is stuck during one of the slow phases, it is NOT, just sit back and relax and after a pause the progress bar will start moving again.

And yes, a firmware update can cause a case of nervousness but it is very simple and safe.  Earlier this year I had to update the firmware for both of my HP Z series workstations and even with all of the updates I have done there still is a sense of foreboding until the process is safely completed.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I generally advise against updating the FW unless it does something you need or use or a bug swat.  This latest list  warrants you to do the FW upgrade, IMHO.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I generally advise against updating the FW unless it does something you need or use or a bug swat.  This latest list  warrants you to do the FW upgrade, IMHO.

"Firmware Version 1.1.3 incorporates the following fix:

1. Corrects a PTP communications vulnerability.
2. Corrects a vulnerability related to firmware update."

I agree.  Do not install firmware updates, not unless it fixes something that you neeed.  Everyone needs the security vulnerability update, which Canon identified in 2019.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks to all for your help. I think l will use a SD card to do the transfer. I would assume that as long as the SD card can record images and formats okay that is is in good working order. Is there another way to check on the condition of the SD card since my card has had a lot of useage ?

Make sure it a top brand high quality SD and format it before hand.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@gizzy wrote:

Thanks to all for your help. I think l will use a SD card to do the transfer. I would assume that as long as the SD card can record images and formats okay that is is in good working order. Is there another way to check on the condition of the SD card since my card has had a lot of useage ?

I would use only one [card] in the camera to perform a firmware update.  I would also format the card in the camera prior to installing the update file in the root directory of the memory card.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements