cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 7d mark ii locking up

Neddah71
Apprentice

Hi Everyone, i have a brand new mark ii, took it out for the first time today and it keeps locking up. no autofocus and the shutter wont release. any one have the same problem 

6 REPLIES 6

It's not impossible for a brand new camera to be non-functional, but it's highly improbable. It's most likely that you're overlooking something. (AF/MF switch? Formatted memory card? Battery charged? Etc.) What debugging steps, as recommended in the instruction manual, have you tried, and what were the results? If you haven't read the instruction manual, come back when you have.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I purchased a new Canon 7D2 in April 2016.  Not long after a few shoots, I began to experience some shutter failure.  No reason for the shutter to fail, yet it did.  I really couldn't explain it, so I passed if off as new user, new camera.  Later, the incidents continued and a new problem surfaced.  While attempting preview shots, the 'playback' button froze.  So, after troubleshooting with Canon USA, I sent the camera in for service.  They replaced a part and sent the camera back.  Days later, first shoot, the same failures once again.  Camera is back at Canon.  Cannot believe this.  I've owned Canon my entire adult life, I'm 53.  There is no explaination for the problems I'm having and Canon is treating my issue as IF ITS SOMETHING NEW!  I am asking for a new camera. We'll see.  

Hello CFM, 

Hopefully sending it to Canon has resolved the issue.  We trust that if the issue remains you will please let us know. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

It's also possible you've got a lens problem.  Do you own any other lenses?

By default a new Canon will be in "One Shot" mode and that mode also uses something called "Focus Priority" which means that it must be able to confirm focus before it will take a photo.  If the lens switched is moved to the manual focus position (AF/MF switch on the lens in the MF position) then the camera will take photo immediately because it knows you've disabled auto-focus.  It will also take a photo immediately if you change the focus mode to "AI Servo" which uses "Release Priority" (release-priority will take a shot as soon as you fully press the shutter button even if it has not had time to focus.)

So... if there's an issue with the focus motor in the lens... then it would make sense that the a brand new 7D II would refuse to focus or take a photo and this wouldn't actually be a defect (the camera is doing what it is supposed to do).

That's why I'm wondering if you own any other lenses.

But if this is a brand new lens AND if the lens came with the camera body as a body+lens kit, then your only choice may be to exchange both for a replacement (I don't think a retailer will let you exchange just the lens if it was part of a kit.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Neddah71
Apprentice
Hi thanks for the feedback , i have been through every process I can think of , I've used 4 different canon lens, I've used different batteries, different cards , reset factory settings , it's also frozen with no lens. It will work as its meant to for a dozen **bleep**s or more then will just freeze, sometimes you can still get access to the menu sometimes no buttons will work. It was just a body not with a kit lens.

CFM
Apprentice

What was the resolution to your Canon 7d2 locking up?  Mine is doing the same thing.

Announcements