cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 7d mark ii Vs 5d mark iii purchase

Kyledubay
Apprentice

Hi, I was hoping for advice on which camera would be the most practical for me to aquire, I am nothing more than a amateur who has a serious interest in photography and i know the answer is based off what I will be using the body for; I work in a photography gallery in Bar Harbor, Maine not as a photographer as an employee, that being said Its wonderful terrain and I enjoy landscape photography a great deal, that being said its Maine and its not as practical in the winter in which I will be shooting sports at indoor locations. Its not so much the price difference as finding the best balance for both also i am apprehensive that the 5d mark iv may come out soon. not saying the 5d iii stops working but it might be worth holding off a month or 3. Thats my dilema any advice at all is appreciated! I would like to add for the next 6 months my focus is primarily on indoor sports.

Thanks, Kyle

13 REPLIES 13

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Skirball wrote:

I think the new 16- 35 f/4 can match (and beat) anything the 10-18 or 10-22 can do. Except IS I guess. Having more options for lenses isn’t the same has having more lenses you need.

The 16-35 f/4 has IS. And contrary to some pre-launch reports, it does have a switch to turn the IS on and off.

Even better.  I really need to get around to selling my 17-40 and upgrade.

The indoor sports need shouts "full frame"! The low light makes you stretch the high ISO beyond what you would probably like to see in image quality, unless you will be viewing at small sizes.

Your lens collection is all full frame compatible, which is almost unheard of for a crop shooter. Another plus for full frame. Most people thinking of going from crop to full frame have a lot of EF-s glass on their hands.

Your lack of any glass that would be even slightly "wide" on a crop camera adds to the logic in going full frame, since you want to do some landscape, and your 24-105 will actually be 24 at the wide end on a full frame, whereas it is nearly 40mm on a crop.

I would ask how serious you are about the indoor sports, because fast movement in low light is what is expensive. Perhaps the way to economize (if doing so is desirable) is to go full frame, but go with a 6d. The AF is not terribly complex but it can work if you don't need a 95% keeper rate. Use the $1,000 you save for glass.

Or just go with the 5d3.

I just don't hear you saying that you'll be doing a whole lot of OUTDOOR SPORTS, which would be the bread and butter of a crop camera like a 7d or 7d2. Other than AF speed, your T5i would be just about as good at indoor sports, as I don't think the low light performance will be improved more than perhaps a fraction of one stop?
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Too much discussion of bodies and not enough attention to lenses for this thread. Considering a "starting from scratch" scenario here, I'd suggest that the OP consider the lens situation. The 24-105mm f/4L is a nice lens, not great, but very nice and affordable. Paired to a 5DMkiii, it is under-classed. But a 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM is a spectacular lens. It's the choice of the OP, of course, but were it mine, I'd buy the glass now and let it assist the collection and organization of light because in the end, that's all that matters.

Camera bodies come and go but good glass lasts.

Full disclosure: I own a 24-105 f/4L and lust after the 24-70 f/2.8L II USM.

Me too.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements