Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

Canon 7d Mark ii aspect ratio for photos

Hello...on my 7d Markii, I have the aspect ratio set to 16:9 and I have my widescreen TV set to the same.  I am wondering why photos I take do not fill up the screen, but have about 2 inches of black on each side?  Videos fill up the screen no problem;  it's just with photos.  Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks

VIP

Re: Canon 7d Mark ii aspect ratio for photos

I doiubt if anyone around here will be able to answer a question about how your television works. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Occasional Contributor

Understood but there are several variables that could affect this other than the TV, inlcduing the camera or a software prorgam I am using so I thought someone may have run across it.

VIP

Maybe someone has, but you haven't provided enough information for someone to give a useful answer.  What software are you using to display the images?  I would ask what brand and model television, but that information is pretty meaningless to me. 

I suspect that it is not an issue with the camera,  Either the images are 16x9, or they're not.  How they are going from saved on a hard drive to displayed on your television is an entirely different matter, and quite off-topic.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Occasional Contributor

Typically FCP X or Lightroom to create slide shows which I watch over Apple TV.  Setting for Apple TV is set to 16:9 as well.  I did discover late last night that if I use Iphoto and choose Ken Burns effect it will play them full screen.  Can't explain it from a tech standpoint but leaning toward the software as the issue...TV in question is a 65 inch Sony Bravia, but same issue occurs when play on my Imac...

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Have you checked the size of the image in pixels to make sure it is 16:9?

Occasional Contributor

I believe so but will check when I get home.  Thanks

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I believe that if you are shooting Raw, you are limted to taking at 3:2 aspect ratio, but other aspect ratio settings will be appended to the raw file and used by Canon DPP . However, the JPEG aspect ratio can be set at 16:9.
Guess it comes down to - if you shoot in Raw, then you must process through DPP to get the 16:9 aspect ratio.