cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 7d Mark ii aspect ratio for photos

jaschles
Contributor

Hello...on my 7d Markii, I have the aspect ratio set to 16:9 and I have my widescreen TV set to the same.  I am wondering why photos I take do not fill up the screen, but have about 2 inches of black on each side?  Videos fill up the screen no problem;  it's just with photos.  Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I doiubt if anyone around here will be able to answer a question about how your television works. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Understood but there are several variables that could affect this other than the TV, inlcduing the camera or a software prorgam I am using so I thought someone may have run across it.

Maybe someone has, but you haven't provided enough information for someone to give a useful answer.  What software are you using to display the images?  I would ask what brand and model television, but that information is pretty meaningless to me. 

I suspect that it is not an issue with the camera,  Either the images are 16x9, or they're not.  How they are going from saved on a hard drive to displayed on your television is an entirely different matter, and quite off-topic.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Typically FCP X or Lightroom to create slide shows which I watch over Apple TV.  Setting for Apple TV is set to 16:9 as well.  I did discover late last night that if I use Iphoto and choose Ken Burns effect it will play them full screen.  Can't explain it from a tech standpoint but leaning toward the software as the issue...TV in question is a 65 inch Sony Bravia, but same issue occurs when play on my Imac...

Have you checked the size of the image in pixels to make sure it is 16:9?

I believe so but will check when I get home.  Thanks

bento2
Enthusiast

I believe that if you are shooting Raw, you are limted to taking at 3:2 aspect ratio, but other aspect ratio settings will be appended to the raw file and used by Canon DPP . However, the JPEG aspect ratio can be set at 16:9.
Guess it comes down to - if you shoot in Raw, then you must process through DPP to get the 16:9 aspect ratio.

Announcements