cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 7DII

Edward
Enthusiast

I got the camera and tested it with the 400 mm f 2.8 MKII versus a 5DIII with the same lens plus a 1.4X MKIII, both at F 4 and ISO 400 mounted in a tripod and manual focus.  The target was a brick wall.  Other than enlarging the image obtained with the 5DIII in the computer to match the size of that obtained with the 7DII, no further image manipulations were done in RAW CC.  The results were that image quality from the 7DII were slightly better than that of the 5DIII. I have done the same test with the 7D and the image of the 5DIII was better.  In other words there is a perceptible gain in image quality.  I kept the 7DII because I still will be able to use the F 2.8 aperture of the lens that will not be possible since the 5DIII + the 1.4X that would be f 4.  Also gain the 10 fms that double that of the 5DIII is great for wildlife photography.

The image quality/noise is not a considerable improvement over the previous one.  Otherwise the camera capabilities surpasses in all aspects those of the 7D.  There some small details such as now the frame counter goes to 1999 versus 999 in the old one. When setting the date there is an additional option to change the daylight saving time, a GPS,  etc.  

One peculiarity is that the labeling in the LCD panel is the reverse of that on the 5DIII, yet the Main Dial and the Quick Control Dial works as labeled in the 5DIII.  For example, the AF-Drive is labeled as such in the 5DIII but as Drive-AF in the 7DII, yet in both cameras when you press this button to change the AF the Main Dial is used.  Somebody at Canon forgot to match the labeling on the LCD panel to correspond to that of the 5DIII so that the first notation AF indicates use of the Main dial and the second notation Drive indicates the use of the Quick Selection Drive. The Rating Button I still consider a waste; no professional will rate the images based on the LCD monitor and it is not programmed to be changed to a more useful function.  In the 7D I could use the AF-ON and the AF point selection button to magnify the images in the viewfinder that I found easier than the current method of having to push the Magnifying Button and rotating the Main Dial.

The autofocus is excellente and I will risk to say better than the one on the 5DIII.  There a new button surrounding the multi-controller that allow for the quick selection the various AUTOFOCUS modes, a great improvement location over the previous M-Fn button (that is still present) but I still have to push the AF selection button to activate it.  Why is that I just cannot have single action button for this function or a way to change the camera's program to do it?

Canon is again cutting cost by offering a Basic Camera Manual plus a full manual as a CD.  This is fine for those tha carry a notebook out in the field but I no longer do to save delays in airports as well as cutting weight for carry-ons were restrictions are getting to be less than 18 pounds for some airlines. Overall, this camera has a lot to offer for the money.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Edward wrote:

YES, [the 547-page 7D2 manual] will not bigger than the current 5DIII manual that I already carry ...  

Au contraire, the 5D3 manual (which I happen to have up on the adjacent screen) is only 403 pages.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36

Skirball
Authority

So...  your test shows that the 7d2 takes better pictures of a brickwall than a 5d3 through a 1.4x converter at 400 ISO and digitally enlarged?  Good to know.

I don't doubt that the 7D2 is going to fair well in the field, but this "test" above is a prime example of why there is so much misinformation on the internet.  I would expect the results of a full frame, a teleconverter, and digitally enlarged to be less sharp than a crop through a top notch lens.  Would you not?  

I'm glad you like your 7D2, I hope it fits you well.  It looks like a great camera for people who shoot fast action.  But people don't buy 5D3's to shoot brick walls at ISO 400.  They buy it to shoot events at ISO 6400+.  Not that the 5D3 can't shoot at low ISO, and the 7D2 can shoot things that aren't moving quickly.  But each of these cameras has specific conditions that they were optimally designed for, and you didn't really address either in your experiment.

KeithR
Enthusiast

Edward wrote: 

The image quality/noise is not a considerable improvement over the previous one.  

It's about a stop better than the 7D at high ISO at the image level; and considerably cleaner at lower ISOs - none of this "noisy skies at 100 ISO" nonsense that we used to hear about the 7D.

@KeithR wrote:

Edward wrote: 

The image quality/noise is not a considerable improvement over the previous one.  

It's about a stop better than the 7D at high ISO at the image level; and considerably cleaner at lower ISOs - none of this "noisy skies at 100 ISO" nonsense that we used to hear about the 7D.

THat's interesting.  Several of the discussions I poked my nose in on there was a lot of talk about them being fairly similar at the mid ISOs (1600-3200) and a modest increase at 12.8k+.  Admitantly I haven't really followed the pixel peeping closely, just hearing what the grumbles are.   I am glad they fixed the noisy sky issue though, that was a bit embarrassing.

cyyuen2000
Contributor

Hi,

I have trouble to do exposure compensation in manual mode in 7Dii.

When I in manual mode, and when I move to exposure compensation it always become AEB setting why?

I have no problem to set expnsure compensation in other model like AV or TV.

Is there some setting which I need to do? 

Thank you

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
If you set ISO to Auto, then AEC will become available. I think this shooting mode should have a name, Ev, for Exposure Priority.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Oh, yeah. I suggest programming the [SET] button for AEC. By keeping it pressed, you can dial in AEC. The viewfinder display in the 7D2 seems expressly designed for this mode of operation.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for the input. 

Announcements