cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 7DII

Edward
Enthusiast

I got the camera and tested it with the 400 mm f 2.8 MKII versus a 5DIII with the same lens plus a 1.4X MKIII, both at F 4 and ISO 400 mounted in a tripod and manual focus.  The target was a brick wall.  Other than enlarging the image obtained with the 5DIII in the computer to match the size of that obtained with the 7DII, no further image manipulations were done in RAW CC.  The results were that image quality from the 7DII were slightly better than that of the 5DIII. I have done the same test with the 7D and the image of the 5DIII was better.  In other words there is a perceptible gain in image quality.  I kept the 7DII because I still will be able to use the F 2.8 aperture of the lens that will not be possible since the 5DIII + the 1.4X that would be f 4.  Also gain the 10 fms that double that of the 5DIII is great for wildlife photography.

The image quality/noise is not a considerable improvement over the previous one.  Otherwise the camera capabilities surpasses in all aspects those of the 7D.  There some small details such as now the frame counter goes to 1999 versus 999 in the old one. When setting the date there is an additional option to change the daylight saving time, a GPS,  etc.  

One peculiarity is that the labeling in the LCD panel is the reverse of that on the 5DIII, yet the Main Dial and the Quick Control Dial works as labeled in the 5DIII.  For example, the AF-Drive is labeled as such in the 5DIII but as Drive-AF in the 7DII, yet in both cameras when you press this button to change the AF the Main Dial is used.  Somebody at Canon forgot to match the labeling on the LCD panel to correspond to that of the 5DIII so that the first notation AF indicates use of the Main dial and the second notation Drive indicates the use of the Quick Selection Drive. The Rating Button I still consider a waste; no professional will rate the images based on the LCD monitor and it is not programmed to be changed to a more useful function.  In the 7D I could use the AF-ON and the AF point selection button to magnify the images in the viewfinder that I found easier than the current method of having to push the Magnifying Button and rotating the Main Dial.

The autofocus is excellente and I will risk to say better than the one on the 5DIII.  There a new button surrounding the multi-controller that allow for the quick selection the various AUTOFOCUS modes, a great improvement location over the previous M-Fn button (that is still present) but I still have to push the AF selection button to activate it.  Why is that I just cannot have single action button for this function or a way to change the camera's program to do it?

Canon is again cutting cost by offering a Basic Camera Manual plus a full manual as a CD.  This is fine for those tha carry a notebook out in the field but I no longer do to save delays in airports as well as cutting weight for carry-ons were restrictions are getting to be less than 18 pounds for some airlines. Overall, this camera has a lot to offer for the money.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Edward wrote:

YES, [the 547-page 7D2 manual] will not bigger than the current 5DIII manual that I already carry ...  

Au contraire, the 5D3 manual (which I happen to have up on the adjacent screen) is only 403 pages.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36

@Edward wrote:

Canon is again cutting cost by offering a Basic Camera Manual plus a full manual as a CD.  This is fine for those tha carry a notebook out in the field but I no longer do to save delays in airports as well as cutting weight for carry-ons were restrictions are getting to be less than 18 pounds for some airlines. ...  

Would you really want to carry around the printed version of a 547-page manual? I don't think I would.

Hey, consign the manual to your smart phone for use on trips. Check in with your optometrist first, of course, to make sure you'll be able to read it.  Smiley Wink

Bob

YES, it will not bigger than the current 5DIII manual that I already carry and beats carrying a notebook.  

I'm curious what kind of information you're looking up while out shooting?

Mostly wildlife; I find the 5DIII with the 400 mm f 2.8 too short even the 1.4X particularly for birds; it Ok for mammals.  

Understandable.  I'd expect that BIF shooters will be, pardon the pun, flocking to the 7D2.  But I know a lot of wildlife photogs that shoot in early light and don't get enough fur detail out of crop sensors.  Unfortunately there is no perfect camera for all situations.

Everything is a compromise...I still have two 5DIIIs for those special ocassions.  I forgot, I do not carry a phone either since the places where I go my USA phone  will not work and rely on the guides for communication. 

@Edward wrote:

YES, [the 547-page 7D2 manual] will not bigger than the current 5DIII manual that I already carry ...  

Au contraire, the 5D3 manual (which I happen to have up on the adjacent screen) is only 403 pages.

Bob

Would you really want to carry around the printed version of a 547-page manual? I don't think I would.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA

Absolutely.  I carry the manuals for my flashes, lenses and cameras in my main gadget bag ALL the time.  I also frequently have the National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America, the Snakes of Texas, and a couple of other field guides either with me in the blind or at least in the vehicle.  As cameras become more sophisticated (complicated) there is a greater chance that I will somehow initiate something that don't actually wish to and then will need to find my way back to where I wish to be.  

Interestingly, I just had this conversation with CPS and they claim that the reason is in an attempt to go "green".  I told them that I thought they could at least make the full manual available in print for those who were willing to pay, perhaps even $15.00 - $25.00 for it.  I certainly would be willing to pay that much if need be.

Again, can you give me an example of the last thing that you looked up that helped you during a shoot?  Especially in a lens manual. 

I understand that you're sitting around in blinds for long hours and probably enjoy having something to read.  Me personally, I'd just take a kindle with me and read an enjoyable book (non-camera related) and have my manual on the Kindle if I needed it for some reason.   Or my cell phone, or an iPad, etc.   Though I really just can't imagine what I would need to look up if I was shooting a type of photography that I frequently shoot.

Announcements