cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 7D2 auto focus quesrion

Stillh2o
Contributor
While in servo mode, under what setting can I use a single focus point to track a subject?
19 REPLIES 19

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Stillh2o wrote:
While in servo mode, under what setting can I use a single focus point to track a subject?

You would choose a single AF point with the AF Area Selection Lever (the little switch around the joystick).

If you don't have it you should download the EOS 7D Mark II AF-Setting Guidebook which contains a detailed explanations of how to master the 65-point cross-type AF.

Stillh2o
Contributor

Well, I have chosen the single point and it remains stationary.  I had purchased a 7D2 a few weeks ago and just had to return it due to malfunctions.  I got a new one and if I remember correctly, you have to do something to be able to track a subject using single point AF besides changing the AF to a single point.  

Please disregard, I was finally able to figure it out I think.

@Stillh2o wrote:

Well, I have chosen the single point and it remains stationary.  I had purchased a 7D2 a few weeks ago and just had to return it due to malfunctions.  I got a new one and if I remember correctly, you have to do something to be able to track a subject using single point AF besides changing the AF to a single point.  

If you want the AF point to move around in the viewfinder with the subject, you need to use one of the Auto AF point selection modes. If you want to just track with a single AF point like the center one, all you need is to select single point AF and be in AIServo.

I had the single point AF selected, however you have to go into the settings to enable it.  

You had bought the 7D2 which is known for its AF capability and you use a single point focus?  This means you are not using any of its AF ability at all.   You might as well as the 7D1 or some other camera with 9 point focus to save money.

I shoot a lot of Birds In Flight (BIF) so my camera lives mostly on AI Servo and I can tell you tracking a moving bird with a single center point is nearly impossible...(some guys will always claim they can routinely do it at this point).  As you know, with AI Servo, you aim at the object, acquire initial focus then keep the focus point on it as the object moves away. If you can't, you lose focus.  With one point you have to keep that on the object all the time.  With multiple focus points, the camera AI will track the focused target with other points so focus is maintained even if you failed to put the center point on the object.    I use a number of focus points but always ended up choosing either 15 focus points (all auto) when I'm lazy in tracking or center point with 8 assist.  If you use more than 15 points, the camera locks focus on the wrong part of the bird which is annoying.  15 points and less work very well.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

I appreciate your advise, however when using the single point in Servo, the points will expand and continue to track the subject.  I do use single point to aquire focus on a running back, quarterback and let the points expand using single point AF.  

@Stillh2o wrote:

I appreciate your advise, however when using the single point in Servo, the points will expand and continue to track the subject.  I do use single point to aquire focus on a running back, quarterback and let the points expand using single point AF.  

No it does not expand  with a single point. That's what I'm trying to tell you.  Since there is only one point to track with, you have to have that one point on the object as it moves if you want focus to maintain.  You need to choose one of the multiple point focusing scheme before it will expand to track for you - the real advantage of AI Servo.

Back to your original question. Here is how you activate and change focus point:

Capture.JPG

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Just to make sure I am understanding what you are saying, if I am in single point AF in Servo, the single point will not expand to 3 or 4 points together and track the subject I am foucused on?

Announcements