cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 7D or 70D, which one and why?

JWalker175
Apprentice

I am looking into purchasing a new camera body, the 7D or the 70D obviously and I cannot decide which one to get. U have read/watched countless reviews and comparisons but they dont really help me that much. I mostly photograph landscapes, travel photos, and my dog (who is still a puppy and moves around very fast). I currently own a T2i. 

From what I've read, the 70D is a lot better at videos but I almost never shoot videos so the video quality is not very important to me.

JWalker175
Apprentice

Or should I wait for the 7D Mii?

Either camera will do a wonderful job for you.  The big difference is the 7D is aimed more towards the pro market and th e70D is an advanced amerture camera.  You really can't go wrong so consider your goals.

The 7D Mk II will be more advanced and will cost more.  So, the question do you want to shoot right now or sometime whenever Canon decides to release it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you, for low-light indoor photographs which camera performs better?

The difference is going to very minor.  Pick the one that fits your fancy.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

The difference is going to very minor.  Pick the one that fits your fancy.

Here's a slightly different approach: Go back over the problems reported in this forum in the past few months and notice which camera has generated far more of them than the other. Then ask yourself whether those problems would bother you if they were happening to you. If it were me, the decision would be obvious at that point.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob from Boston,

I don't place too much store in what "some" ( a couple right here) internet posters say or report.  You have no idea what is behind them or even if it is not the same person.

I have had a 7D since it came on the market and it has never missed a beat.  Not once, and I am a person that is not easy on equipment.  Doing the kind of work I do.  Now you don't know me, either, as I am just another internet poster but my results have been possitive to their negative.

I am in the fortunate position to try a lot of new stuff.   Or, I have a circle of buds that have.  That is the only really foolproof way of knowing the truth.  Use it yourself but most can't I realize.

I can't really comment on the xxD series because we don't seem to buy that line of Canon equipment.

If the poster wants my unabashed opinion, I would get the 7D in a heartbeat, today and not wait.  Too many photo ops to wait until Canon decided to release a newer more costly version.  I'd be 1000's of picture down the road by than...................................

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Bob from Boston,

I don't place too much store in what "some" ( a couple right here) internet posters say or report.  You have no idea what is behind them or even if it is not the same person.

I have had a 7D since it came on the market and it has never missed a beat.  Not once, and I am a person that is not easy on equipment.  Doing the kind of work I do.  Now you don't know me, either, as I am just another internet poster but my results have been possitive to their negative.

I am in the fortunate position to try a lot of new stuff.   Or, I have a circle of buds that have.  That is the only really foolproof way of knowing the truth.  Use it yourself but most can't I realize.

I can't really comment on the xxD series because we don't seem to buy that line of Canon equipment.

If the poster wants my unabashed opinion, I would get the 7D in a heartbeat, today and not wait.  Too many photo ops to wait until Canon decided to release a newer more costly version.  I'd be 1000's of picture down the road by than...................................

All true, but my point is that all else being equal (and you pretty much said that it is), reports from the user community can be useful as a tie breaker.

Like you, I'm a satisfied 7D owner, and my unabashed opinion is pretty much the same as yours.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"... my unabashed opinion is pretty much the same as yours."

Proving once again, great minds think alike! Smiley Wink

EB

My photo buddy has the 7D, I shoot the 70D. The only difference I see in the cameras is the weight. The 7D is noticeable heavier than the 70D.

Announcements