cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 7D - Notification when Video Stops

scriptdoc
Apprentice

I understand the video recording stops automatically between 10-12 minutes, depending on the situation.  But is there a way to activate a notification of some kind - a beep or something - when video stops recording?  I find myself doing interviews and not realizing it has stopped.

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

7D - Video only stops recording for a reason.

Overheating

Out of memory (storage)

User intervention - manually stopping recording

Hitting the 29:59 recording limit

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hey, Rick - Yep, I know why it stops.  I'm just looking for some kind of beep or notification so I don't think it's still recording when it's not 🙂

@shadowsports wrote:

Greetings,

7D - Video only stops recording for a reason.

Overheating

Out of memory (storage)

User intervention - manually stopping recording

Hitting the 29:59 recording limit

@scriptdoc,

Good Morning.  Sorry.  There is no sound that can be set to alert you when recording stops. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

@scriptdoc,

Good Morning.  Sorry.  There is no sound that can be set to alert you when recording stops. 

Thanks - I appreciate the response.  I just have to be more aware 🙂

You could probably fix a little mirror to the card access light, but since that goes for a bit after the video stops, it might not work for you.

Peter
Authority
Authority

@scriptdoc wrote:

I understand the video recording stops automatically between 10-12 minutes, depending on the situation.  But is there a way to activate a notification of some kind - a beep or something - when video stops recording?  I find myself doing interviews and not realizing it has stopped.

The reason why it stops is due to FAT32 and the 4GB limit. An option is to lower the bitrate of H.264 (ML) to increase the time before you hit the 4GB limit.

As an answer for your question, yes, it is possible to get a beep when the video recording stops but not realistic because you will need to video record in raw format (ML). 4 minutes of raw video at 23.97 fps will give you 17GB of data at ISO 100. How much does a 256GB card that is able to write at 90MB/s cost?

7D-raw.png

Thanks - appreciate the thoughts.  I'll just try to be more aware.  Filming a documentary about my wife - a couple times I've looked over and seen that red light gone -freaked out!! 🙂  Thanks again.

@Peter wrote:

@scriptdoc wrote:

The reason why it stops is due to FAT32 and the 4GB limit. An option is to lower the bitrate of H.264 (ML) to increase the time before you hit the 4GB limit.

As an answer for your question, yes, it is possible to get a beep when the video recording stops but not realistic because you will need to video record in raw format (ML). 4 minutes of raw video at 23.97 fps will give you 17GB of data at ISO 100. How much does a 256GB card that is able to write at 90MB/s cost?

7D-raw.png

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements