cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 7D Mark ii

Angelos
Apprentice

I'm trying to find out if the Canon 7D Mark ii is complatible with High Sync capability with off camera strobes.  I currently have a couple Alien Bees lights, and it does not seem compatible with those lights.  I am still not able to shoot with a shutter speed over 1/250, and I am wanting to be able to shoot at 1/1000 - 1/2000.

Thanks,

Anthony

5 REPLIES 5

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I can only speak to Canon equipment (e.g. the 600 series Speedlites along with the ST-E3-RT controller).  With all Canon gear, HSS will work a-ok.

You'll need to explore if your lights allow for HSS and what types of triggers may be required to get it to work.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Which camera have you been able to shoot HSS with your Alien Bees strobes?  I didn't think any camera can do what you want. 

Mike Sowsun

Best to stick with Canon gear

Canon Knowledge Base - Compatible lenses, external flashes, and accessories for the EOS 7D Mark II c...

I suggest you contact the maker of the Alien Bees to confirm compatibility.  I believe this is Paul C Buff Inc 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I suggest you contact the maker of the Alien Bees to confirm compatibility."

This is the place to ask.  Canon doesn't normally detail how to make its gear work with other brands of equipment. Here you  would just have to be lucky if one of the members used your setup. Alien Bee strobes work great under normal shooting conditions. I have never done HSS on a 7D Mk II or any other camera for that matter so I can't answer.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I did some research for you, and it appears Alien Bees can do something called "Hyper Sync" or "Super Sync",  but not "High Speed Sync". 

My understanding is that "High Speed Sync" or "Super Sync" is a technique that alters the shutter sync timing to take advantage of flash units that have a long duration flash at certain power settings. This is a function of certain brands of 3rd party radio triggers and has less to do with the brand of flash or brand of camera. 

Why do you want to use very fast shutter speeds with flash? What radio triggers do you have now, or are planning to get?
Mike Sowsun
Announcements