cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 7D II battery drainage.

wlocasto
Apprentice

I can get 700-1000 exposures per battery charge on a freshly charged LP E6N battery, however, if I simply put a freshly charged battery in the camera and let it sit for a week (NO exposures) the battery level goes from 100% to 76%...! GPS checked as disabled...any body else getting this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Even so, the GPS doesn't completely stop.  I don't have a 7D Mk II but I have seen reports that battery life is not as good as it was on the 7D.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

I've not had a positive result with the battery drain, except to remove the battery whenever I am not using the camera and have also purchased a second battery. I think the high performance of the 7D MKII twin digic 6 processors and the 61 point focus system are high users, but still can't work out why it drains with non use. I have noticed my 70D drains the battery when not being used also.

Just to be sure, I assume that this happens with no lens attached to the camera, too?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

What?  I don't take lenses off my cameras, that just invites crap into the camera body, two lenses and two camera bodies.

@MickvK wrote:

What?  I don't take lenses off my cameras, that just invites crap into the camera body, two lenses and two camera bodies.

Not even for a test? 

Okay, to each his own, I guess.  Two bodies and cameras, it is.  No need to change lenses.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Sorry for the flipent reply. As I have updated to the next new camera I have kept the last one for my 24-105 USM lens. I used to have one body and three Tamron lenses and that was a recipe for trouble.

@Waddizzle wrote:

Just to be sure, I assume that this happens with no lens attached to the camera, too?

I know this is an older thread, but this is exactly what the problem is. If I leave a lens on my 7D MK II, the battery will drain overnight. No lens, battery level didn't change in 5 days. Curious.....

I hav also battery drainage. i have three (3) batteries, so im not caught of guard...can it be fixed by Canon? has anybody tried?

Blakstar64
Apprentice
UPDATE...I returned my 7D MKII to Canon and they replaced a board that was shorted. I no longer have the issue.

NuB234
Apprentice

I know I'm a little late to the conversation;; but i found if you simply open the door on the battery that it does turn off the power to the battery. thus preserving the battery through down times. TADA. and i have been using one battery over a weeks time without difficulties...

@NuB234 wrote:

I know I'm a little late to the conversation;; but i found if you simply open the door on the battery that it does turn off the power to the battery. thus preserving the battery through down times. TADA. and i have been using one battery over a weeks time without difficulties...

But you're missing the point. The likely source of your problem is that you're leaving GPS turned on. By default, GPS continues to operate (and drain the battery), even with the camera turned off, so that it doesn't have to spend time discovering where it is, the next time you take a picture.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements