cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 70d very blurry

rbatchu
Apprentice
Hi I am new bee to photography. I have a canon 70d which isnt giving sharp images.i tried to remove the lens and shoot .as soon as I remove the lens everything is very blurry and out of focus I just see a very blurry and out of focus image through view finder .is my camera broken?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@rbatchu wrote:
Hi I am new bee to photography. I have a canon 70d which isnt giving sharp images.i tried to remove the lens and shoot .as soon as I remove the lens everything is very blurry and out of focus I just see a very blurry and out of focus image through view finder .is my camera broken?

Hello, the camera needs a lens in order to produced a focused image.  The lens and camera body work together as a team.  Until you become more familiar with cameras, in general, please ignore any advice to clean either the camera or the lens.  

If you have not downloaded a copy of the full user manual, you can do so from the 70D product page at Canon Support.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-ca... 

You can learn more about general photography by looking at the series of videos at the first two posts on this thread.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/General-Camera-Discussion/Canon-YouTube-Video-Series/m-p/269237#M... 

Be aware that the 70D has had a history of premature failures.  However, these [failures] manifested themselves as a dead camera that would not power up.  Your camera is turning on, so this is not your issue.

If you doubt that your camera is working properly, then you should contact Canon Support.  But, first I suggest that you become more familiar with the camera and general photography, so that you can be better prepared to answer any questions that they might ask of you.

For example, what is the exact make and model number of the lens that you are using?  Do you know where to find it on the lens?  What is your camera's shooting mode on the top dial?  [use P mode]. What is your auto focus mode, and drive mode?

Do you know where the serial number is for the camera, because you will need it to download the software at the link that I posted above.  It is located on the bottom of the camera.  Has it been rubbed away so that you cannot read it?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

If I understand correctly, you are looking through the viewfinder without a lens in place???  The 70D is a SLR (single lens reflex) type of camera so the view you see is focused through the lens off of a mirror onto the viewing screen and without a lens in place the image will definitely be blurry.

With the lens in place, make sure the AF switch on the lens is on.  Then turn on the camera power and set the mode dial to A. Use a well lit area, preferably nice outdoor lighting for your early camera learning.  Aim the camera at what you want to photograph and push the shutter button half way and the camera should auto focus then press fully to capture the image.

Less than sharp photos are often due to motion blur if you are setting the camera manually to too slow of a shutter speed, in auto mode it will try to avoid this issue and will activate the built in flash when necessary.

If your camera didn't come with a manual, you can download a PDF version from the Canon site.  I actually prefer the PDF version since they are text searchable.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@rbatchu wrote:

Hello, the camera needs a lens in order to produced a focused image.  The lens and camera body work together as a team.  Until you become more familiar with cameras, in general, please ignore any advice to clean either the camera or the lens.  

If you have not downloaded a copy of the full user manual, you can do so from the 70D product page at Canon Support.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-ca... 

You can learn more about general photography by looking at the series of videos at the first two posts on this thread.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/General-Camera-Discussion/Canon-YouTube-Video-Series/m-p/269237#M... 

Be aware that the 70D has had a history of premature failures.  However, these [failures] manifested themselves as a dead camera that would not power up.  Your camera is turning on, so this is not your issue.

If you doubt that your camera is working properly, then you should contact Canon Support.  But, first I suggest that you become more familiar with the camera and general photography, so that you can be better prepared to answer any questions that they might ask of you.

For example, what is the exact make and model number of the lens that you are using?  Do you know where to find it on the lens?  What is your camera's shooting mode on the top dial?  [use P mode]. What is your auto focus mode, and drive mode?

Do you know where the serial number is for the camera, because you will need it to download the software at the link that I posted above.  It is located on the bottom of the camera.  Has it been rubbed away so that you cannot read it?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@rbatchu wrote:

When you say "remove the lens", what exactly do you mean? If you're removing the whole lens, so that there's just a hole in the front of the camera, of course you'll see nothing. Is what you're removing a screw-in "lens" that some cheap kits include? In some cases that serves as the main lens's front element, and if you remove it, it must be replaced with a different front element. It would help if you could provide a picture, or at least the manufacturer and model number of what you have.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements