cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 70d - Delay in taking pictures

marinokl
Apprentice
Hi, everyone:

I just purchased my first dslr - a Canon 70d with the 18-135mm kit lens. I'm still very new to this, but am eager to learn so I've been starting to use the camera casually to get a feel for it and have been reading the manual before I take my first class in a few weeks. I'm having a little trouble capturing some shots, though, because I'm getting a good few seconds delay after pressing the shutter button. I'm pretty sure I'm pressing halfway then the rest of the way as the manual said, but I must be doing something wrong or have a certain setting on, right? I can't seem to figure it out, so thought you all might be able to help me here.

Thank you!
Kristen
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

pjmacd
Enthusiast
Kristen, welcome to Canon DSLR photography. Here's a quick thought - are you sure you don't have the self-timer turned on? To check this, turn your camera on and press the DRIVE button (second from the left on the top right side of your camera). In the LCD window, look at which symbol is in the box on the top row, second from the left. If there is a symbol that looks like a stopwatch (it may have a 2 under it), you're in self-timer mode. Move the knurled wheel behind the shutter button to change to a different drive mode - you probably want the single rectangle if you're just starting out. Let us know if this doesn't solve the problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

pjmacd
Enthusiast
Kristen, welcome to Canon DSLR photography. Here's a quick thought - are you sure you don't have the self-timer turned on? To check this, turn your camera on and press the DRIVE button (second from the left on the top right side of your camera). In the LCD window, look at which symbol is in the box on the top row, second from the left. If there is a symbol that looks like a stopwatch (it may have a 2 under it), you're in self-timer mode. Move the knurled wheel behind the shutter button to change to a different drive mode - you probably want the single rectangle if you're just starting out. Let us know if this doesn't solve the problem.

ScottyP
Authority
Hi, Marinokl

It sounds like your camera is struggling to lock autofocus due to low light. They will do that in dim light; indoors and/or at night. Sometimes it doesnt seem dim to you but to your camera it is dim. Try it in bright outdoor daylight; I will bet it works a lot better.

Are you putting your eye to the viewfinder (putting your eye to the camera)? This will focus faster than if you use the big LCD screen on the back of the camera ("live view") like you were taking a picture with your cell phone.

Good luck!
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

marinokl
Apprentice
Ah ha! It was the self-timer issue, exactly as you described. Goodness...So much to learn 🙂 Thank you both for the fast replies and I'm sure you'll be hearing from me again. It's great being a part of a supportive community like this as a newcomer who's eager to learn. Thank you!!

kmcaden
Apprentice
Thank you pjmacd! Whew!
Announcements