cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 70D

bkieffer
Contributor

My question is when using manual settings & a long shutter delay will this damage or shorten the life of my Canon 70D ?

I read somewhere that doing that will run up your shutter count & shorten it's life ??

4 REPLIES 4

@bkieffer wrote:

My question is when using manual settings & a long shutter delay will this damage or shorten the life of my Canon 70D ?

I read somewhere that doing that will run up your shutter count & shorten it's life ??

I suppose it's conceivable that if you had the shutter speed set to B ("bulb"), the opening and closing of the shutter might be recorded as separate events (although I can't imagine why they'd make it work that way). But either way, the actual motions of the shutter components would be the same, so it's hard to see why it would affect the life of the camera. In any case, remember that the predicted lifetime in shutter clicks is just an educated guess.

Where exactly did you find that yarn?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I don't remmber , it was some time back when I was reserching how to get the shutter count on the 70D ? 

@bkieffer wrote:

I don't remmber , it was some time back when I was reserching how to get the shutter count on the 70D ? 

Forget about it. Enjoy the camera.

If the shutter decides to fail, it will kick the bucket whenver it wants to, and there is nothing you can do to change or prevent that from happening short of not using the camera.  Enjoy the camera.  This is the stuff ulcers are made of.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@bkieffer wrote:

Forget about it. Enjoy the camera.

If the shutter decides to fail, it will kick the bucket whenver it wants to, and there is nothing you can do to change or prevent that from happening short of not using the camera.  Enjoy the camera.  This is the stuff ulcers are made of.

I will say environmental factors, especially extreme cold can impact shutter life. But, other than that I agree, just use your camera and don't worry about it. 

Announcements