cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 70D w/ external mic - No sound playback on camera

AKtoOK
Apprentice

Hello,

I have a Canon 70D. I'm using it with an Audio Technica AT897 mic (with an XLR adapter). For some reason, when I play back recorded footage on the camera, there is no sound except for some very light static. However, when I put the footage on my computer and play it back there, the sound is perfectly fine.

I tried unplugging the mic and recording video with the built in microphone on the camera, and it played back fine. While this isn't a massive issue, it still would be nice to know if there is a fix. That way I will know if and when my external mic needs a replacement battery.

I know it isn't because my volume is turned down...

Has anyone else run into these sort of issues?

13 REPLIES 13

Mandi
Contributor
I thought condenser mics did not require that. That not true?

I thought it was dynamic mikes that didn't need phantom power. The condenser mikes need phantom power to charge the condenser (capacitor). *Electret* Condenser mics don't need phantom power.

Thank you for bringing this up.  I dug around and found this chart from Canon:

Condenser microphonePlug-in power
(supplied from a recorder (camera) to the microphone)
Battery cell
(supplied from a battery cell to the microphone)
Phantom power
(supplied from external power equipment to the microphone)
       YesYesNo
Dynamic microphoneGenerating power by itself
(Power is not required for the microphone including microphones used for Karaoke)
No

This made me read more about my particular mic.  I learned that it had a few additional adapters, one for DSLR cameras!  I bought the mic nearly a year ago and never needed any of the extra gear and forgot they were even there. D'oh!

That fixed it!!!

Thanks again for sending me down that rabbit hole.  🙂 

hello i have question i have the same problem with 70d dslr today , the problem is fixed when u use micropjhone with battery!!
Announcements