cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 70D suddenly won't turn on

lpwave
Apprentice

Hi!

I was very frustrated yesterday when I found out my 70D just stopped turning on. I have a plugged in battery that I often use with it, thought maybe that was the problem, but I tried the battery that came with the camera and it didn't turn on either (though it is fully charged). Worked well just last week, nothing out of the ordinary then...

I tried to find things on the issue on the Internet, but could only find two solutions that didn't work for me:

-Try and see if the door "clicker" was stuck, it didn't seem to be. I tried to move it a little bit with a pen like a lot of people did in their videos, but that didn't change a thing.

-Change the lens and SD card. I only have one lens and one SD card, so that's just not a viable option for me. And I'm certainly not gonna buy another lens for a camera that doesn't work just to see if maybe that will get it back up again.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to resolve this issue? I used it less than 10 times, it's so annoying that this could happen for a product in this pricerange...

Thanks a lot in advance!

6 REPLIES 6

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

The lack of lens or card won't keep it from powering up so try it with those remove to rule out a problem with them.

At one point, Canon was replacing 70D motherboards with a revised part because the original was failing generally after heavy video usage.  That sounds like maybe your situation since you were using adapter to power it probably for long periods of time.

Contact Canon so see if that free repair applies to your camera.  Scroll to the last few pages of this forum thread if you haven't already found/read it:  https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/Canon-70D-died/td-p/148015

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

lpwave
Apprentice
That would definitely apply! I've been using it as a webcam for the past few weeks since I don't have one. I'll check that link out for sure!

I also tried turning it on without an SD card and a lens and it din't work.

Thank you so much for this advice!!

John_SD
Whiz

@lpwave wrote:

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to resolve this issue? 

I would stop wasting time and energy on posts and links. You need to contact a repair shop or Canon itself and get the camera evaluated. Good luck. 

Greetings,

Check your serial number using the following article:

Canon U.S.A., Inc. | Product Advisory Detail Page

If use of the camera is subsequently continued, a state may occur in which the camera’s power does not turn on.

Do as the guys recommended and get the camera to Canon.  It might be covered under warranty.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Wasting time on posts and links saved me a trip to the repair shop!

How to fix Canon 70D not powering on

brianlaz
Apprentice

I was having this issue, and for me it was the little tiny switch that the battery compartment door pushes when it closes. I turned the camera on, and manually moved the switch with a knife--bingo. Something must have been stuck in there because now it works fine.

Announcements