Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: Canon 70D died

It was a major setback for me!

New Contributor

Hi.  So, like everyone else on this forum listing my 70D did the err 80 notification and bricked itself in June 2018 while i was in  in Malawi Africa working with a NGO.  To say I was unhappy would be a critical understatement.  I notofied my hubby to research the err80 so i knew what to do when i returned to the States.  So, I called Canon immediately after Customs while waiting for my next flight and they said $275 for diagnostics and & $265 ish for new Motherboard.  Major frustration!!

So the camera sat in my bag and in November 2018 I resolved to sell ALL my Canon equ, which is substancial since I've been shooting Canon since 1976 and a pro sports photog for several newspapers in Ohio. 300 2.8, 400 2.8, EOS 1Ds,  you get the idea, not a casual shooter.  The 70D was my easy camera for travel.

I knew this was a major issue for many 70D owners.  Yesterday I decided to search and see of there was a way to fix the camera w/o spending over $500 with Canon. and I found this forum.

I spoke with Jeff today and Canon is going to fix the camera and take care of the issue.  I was speechless. WOW!

I want to thank this forum for the info and Canon USA for making this right.

Occasional Contributor

Yes, my friend. I was forced to pay $450 two years ago. But now Canon is taking responsability. In Brazil hundreds of 70D mainboards were changed, with no charge for the customer.

New Contributor

I'm in Australia and after being quoted $940 to replace my motherboard, I found this page. With a screen shot of the comment about Canon repairing for free I sent it off directly to Canon. They replaced the PCB for free. No communication, or advice at all, just two weeks later it arrived on my doorstep, fixed.

Thanks folks.