cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 70D died

carsonart
Apprentice

My 70D that is only 1yr 1/2 old died all of the sudden.  I have only used it lightly and have taken very good care of it.  I tried another battery thinking that may be the probelem.  Even a brand new Canon battery did not turn it on.  Just no juice, nothing.  I sent it to Canon service center, and they sent me an estimate for $224.  I called to ask what the problem was, they said they still dont know, that  was just to take a look and fix the issue if there is one.  If it is something with major damage they will contact me with a different estimate.

It worked perfectly fine one day.  I charged the battery back up, plugged it it, and just never turned back on again.  I haven't even paid off the camera yet on my best buy card, so I have a real problem with Canon charging me anything so soon, and for an obviously lightly used camera.  

Has anyone had a similar issue before?  Is having Canon do this my best option?  I read another post of someone who fixed themselves, but I'm of course leery not knowing exactly wha the problem is.  Plus I have shoots lined up, and need to act fast.

I wish they had a better program to just trade up or something, if I'm spending money anyway.

166 REPLIES 166

@dfansler wrote:

I can easily start a Facebook Page and will do so. I will need everyone on this thread to join...

Who? Me? I have neither a 70D nor a Facebook account, so I'll pass.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I appreciate if  you guys provide me with an some information regarding any certified or authorized third party repair centers who can fix it for much lower price. 

Thank you!

I checked with a local non-Canon repair guy who is universally praised by pros here for his quality and low prices but his cost or the 70D pcb replace job is higher than Canon's due to the high price Canon charges for the pcb. That leads me to believe Canon is, defacto, already discounting the repair even at $453 or whatever they're quoting. A couple of independent repair places online are quoting $279 for the repair but that's less than the new Canon part so I'd be skeptical. Even if they're using a new Canon part and losing a ton of money on it, Canon still refuses to acknowledge that they've actually fixed the problem so any new part may just be good money after bad.

@dfansler wrote:

I can easily start a Facebook Page and will do so. I will need everyone on this thread to join...

Instead of wasting your time starting a Facebook page, I think you guys need to find another hobby. Photography isn't for you.  If you think that having costly repair issues is confined to Canon, then go with Nikon. See how that works out for you when you need repairs. 

I post it again. Brazil guys started a facebook page that has now more than 1000 costumers, and they made Canon Brazil fix the problem (changing the mainboard) for free.

Thanks, John_SD  but,

It doesn't seem like a waste of time to me. You, on the other hand, are free to roll over when this kinda stuff happens.

Not to start the flames, but John did light the match. I am and have been a pro photographer since 1976 AND I've been using Canon the whole time, including a couple of years selling Canon retail. I own and actively use eight bodies and 15 lenses which I thoroughly researched, economically purchased and carefully maintain and use so I can pass value on to my customers. ANYONE who objects to being an active consumer is rolling over and merely wasting their own or their client's money and should probably stay an amateur. That said, my main motivation in standing against Canon's response to the 70D problems is I still think the Canon EOS system is the best out there and it deeply pains me to see them playing this kind of game with their loyal customers.

I've created a Facebook page and I hope you all join and let your voice be heard!

The page is called Canon error 80 USA

Thanks

Thanks for creating the Facebook page. I didn't realize there are already a bunch of Facebook pages from other countries and one international dealing with this. I'd love to know who at Canon thinks ignoring, denying and lying about this is a good idea. Can't they just admit a faulty decision and recognize owner and brand loyalty is worth way more than ineffective efforts at dodging this?

Exactly! I loved that camera and had great respect for it. It was a lot of money for me.All communication with Canon has been cold and uncaring. Pretty much, "send it in and we'll send you a bill"...
Announcements