cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 70D died

carsonart
Apprentice

My 70D that is only 1yr 1/2 old died all of the sudden.  I have only used it lightly and have taken very good care of it.  I tried another battery thinking that may be the probelem.  Even a brand new Canon battery did not turn it on.  Just no juice, nothing.  I sent it to Canon service center, and they sent me an estimate for $224.  I called to ask what the problem was, they said they still dont know, that  was just to take a look and fix the issue if there is one.  If it is something with major damage they will contact me with a different estimate.

It worked perfectly fine one day.  I charged the battery back up, plugged it it, and just never turned back on again.  I haven't even paid off the camera yet on my best buy card, so I have a real problem with Canon charging me anything so soon, and for an obviously lightly used camera.  

Has anyone had a similar issue before?  Is having Canon do this my best option?  I read another post of someone who fixed themselves, but I'm of course leery not knowing exactly wha the problem is.  Plus I have shoots lined up, and need to act fast.

I wish they had a better program to just trade up or something, if I'm spending money anyway.

166 REPLIES 166

[Removed link per forum community guidelines] This is a video I found. I plan on trying to repair the motherboard myself because I can't afford to pay Canon over 450. for the repair. I just got a message from the company I ordered the motherboard from and they said they are out of stock. They sell out as soon as they get them, so there must be a big demand for them. Canon told me that they only had a very small percentage of failure and that this issue is rare, but I don't the same kind of issues with all the other models. It seems this freeze up while trying to video is a very real and common problem that Canon USA doesn't want to admit to having with the 70D.

First of all, I also have been an avid Canon user for quite some time now. I also own the Canon 70d, it's my third Canon camera purchase. Originally I purchased the Canon Rebel xsi, then the upgraded to the 60d in mid 2011, & about 18 months ago I purchased the 70d. My 60d was still working fine, however I read that it was only marketed for approximately 150,000 shutter releases & I was well beyond that & afraid I would be photographing something you couldn't capture again & it would just crash & I would be left without those priceless images. I purchased the 70d because it was a step up from the 60d, very similar in application, but with touch screen technology & some other new bells & whistles, it also had the rotating LCD screen which I use frequently on both cameras, & because it was touted for its awesome video capabilities. I shoot way more photographs than video, however last Friday evening (5/26) my son got married & he wanted me to use my camera & tripod to capture a video of his wedding (they had a professional photographer). We recorded about 18 minutes of video, then several hundred photographs that night, &'it worked perfectly. On Saturday (5/27) I did another video or two, because I had rented a video microphone for the wedding & wanted to record some hummingbirds at my feeder, to see how the microphone worked in that environment (in order to help me decide whether to purchase that same mic for my camera accessories). Yesterday I put a used 18-55 mm Canon lens on my 70d & went out to take some daylilly photos. I was using the LCD screen to photograph the flowers & my camera locked up flashing "err" on the top LCD screen after about 25 shots. I went inside, put my 18-135 mm IS STM lens that came with this camera on it & snapped a photo & then it seized up again flashing "err" on top LCD screen. I had been using the Canon battery grip on my camera for over a year & it contained original Canon OEM batteries. I removed that battery tray from the grip & inserted the backup tray with rechargeable batteries in it (which i tested early friday & had worked). After attempting another photo & getting the same flashing err message, I replaced the rechargeable batteries with new lithium batteries and reinserted the tray into the battery grip & still nothing. I always turn off the camera & grip when swapping out battery trays, so I knew the camera was dead. I called Canon USA technical help # and the technician had me remove the grip, place the canon battery inside, replace the original battery door and try that, same result - dead. Then he instructed me to remove the SD card, the lens, the battery and close all doors, turn off camera then turn on & hold shutter button for 30 seconds, then insert battery and turn camera on, same result - dead. We then repeated the scenario with the other Canon battery. Same result - camera completely dead. He said I would need to send it in for service, sent me a shipping label & we talked about when I purchased it, & he said the warranty was only good for one year (ugh!!!). I paid approximately $1400 for the camera & lens and it doesn't last longer than 18 months???? I've had my two other cameras much longer than that & they both still work!!!  My son is taking a summer photography class at our local university, so I had promised him he could borrow my 60d with the used lens I purchased for him yesterday as well as the original 55-250 kit lens I had. Later yesterday evening as I was reviewing my purchase receipt again I realized I had purchased a 3 year extended warranty for the camera (yay me!). I started working on filing a claim & chatted with one of their representatives via chat on my pc. I packaged the camera & battery, plus battery charger last night & dropped it off at the local shipping company for which I was furnished a prepaid shipping label. Hopefully I will receive my camera, battery & charger back in 10 days in its previous working condition.

Now I fear after researching this issue that there is a serious defect with the Canon 70d, which by now the manufacturers have to acknowledge (at least to themselves) is a serious manufacturers defect. If this were a car, and the complaints I have found matched injured people, the company would be required to do a total recall & repair at no cost to all of us, or replace with a newer camera of equal value as what we had, or give a total refund of our money spent. I say this because my neighbor & good friend just went through this with her Volkswagen. She took the refund as they don't have a fix yet, and now she has a brand new (different manufacturer) automobile that she was able to pay almost 100% for because of Volkswagens negligence and the fact they tried to "hide" their known issue for years before they were caught & now are paying huge retribution for!!!  After my research I have lost a lot of respect for the Canon brand. I have always thought of Canon in high regard as they used to be known for their A+ quality equipment & reputation. Their equipment is priced at A+ premium $$$$$. I have always taken the best of care of my equipment because it did come at a premium price. At this point if I were offered the same deal my fiend/neighbor received I would go with the full refund as well. I would additionally pursue the option of selling my gear & switching brands which I never thought I'd say!!! I've always considered Canons brand a much higher, better quality gear than their competitor Nikon - which by the way was what my sons photographer was using. 

Has as anyone else experienced what I did??? I never saw an error code on the camera, only on the top LCD screen. I would appreciate any/all constructive feedback. 

Thanks,

Jules

(PS - just so nobody thinks I am a novice photographer, I've been published in local, regional, and national magazines more than once, & currently have one of my framed photographs at a gallery on Martha's Vineyard for sale. Multiple people have purchased my photographs from me, or via donated auctions, or through local venues). 

Don't live in USA, mine was bought there and failed as almost all 70d in brasil (4 out of 4 people I know). If I were there I would try to sue them or start a class action.

@isidroco wrote:
Don't live in USA, mine was bought there and failed as almost all 70d in brasil (4 out of 4 people I know). If I were there I would try to sue them or start a class action.
Do you even know what a class action lawsuit is? What is the nature of your damage or injury?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_action

Class action is not about injuties. Canon doesn't want to pay the cost of it's manufactured defective cameras. A group of people can initiate actions together to remedy this situation.

@isidroco wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_action

Class action is not about injuties. Canon doesn't want to pay the cost of it's manufactured defective cameras. A group of people can initiate actions together to remedy this situation.

Scored poorly on your LSAT I see. Better luck next time, Perry, Oh, and be sure to let us know how that class action lawsuit turns out.

John_SD your comments aren't friendly, I'm not an US citizen, I don't live there either. What wiki says about class action is any lawsuit started by a group of people. I don't know what a LSAT is and it probably doesn't apply to me.
At least where I live, a group of consumers can complain together, companies as telephone companies where heavily fined for their abuses here.

@isidroco wrote:
John_SD your comments aren't friendly, I'm not an US citizen, I don't live there either. What wiki says about class action is any lawsuit started by a group of people. I don't know what a LSAT is and it probably doesn't apply to me.
At least where I live, a group of consumers can complain together, companies as telephone companies where heavily fined for their abuses here.

If you don't live in the U.S., then you can't be faulted for not knowing the fine points of U.S. law. The only thing you can be criticized for is pretending that you do.

LSAT = Law School Admission Test.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I am a Canon DSLR user since 2009. Have been happy with their cameras. However, EOS 70D started giving trouble recently despite being my very favorite camera. 

It seems now I've discovered the reason! Use of Live View shooting mode either for stills or videos adversely affects the system considerably. It shut down multiple times while I tried to record videos or capture stills in Live View. Finally it shut down permanently about six months ago. Finding no other alternative; I bought two second-hand 7Ds and used those for bird photography purposes last four months with full satisfaction.

Three days ago; out of curiosity I inserted a battery into the 70D and swithched it on. My God, it turned on!!! Shot quite a few still images and all of those came out perfect. Now I never use the LIve View mode for any purposes and record occasional videos with a Handycam.

Conclusion: Use your DSLRs or MILCs primarily for still photography purposes. If you need to record occasional videos, use a Handycam or Camcorder.

CFBKK
Apprentice

I got the same problem with my 70D camera, used it one a half year and simply stoped to work, error 80 and after that died. To fix this problem Canon have to take responsibility

Announcements