cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 70D died

carsonart
Apprentice

My 70D that is only 1yr 1/2 old died all of the sudden.  I have only used it lightly and have taken very good care of it.  I tried another battery thinking that may be the probelem.  Even a brand new Canon battery did not turn it on.  Just no juice, nothing.  I sent it to Canon service center, and they sent me an estimate for $224.  I called to ask what the problem was, they said they still dont know, that  was just to take a look and fix the issue if there is one.  If it is something with major damage they will contact me with a different estimate.

It worked perfectly fine one day.  I charged the battery back up, plugged it it, and just never turned back on again.  I haven't even paid off the camera yet on my best buy card, so I have a real problem with Canon charging me anything so soon, and for an obviously lightly used camera.  

Has anyone had a similar issue before?  Is having Canon do this my best option?  I read another post of someone who fixed themselves, but I'm of course leery not knowing exactly wha the problem is.  Plus I have shoots lined up, and need to act fast.

I wish they had a better program to just trade up or something, if I'm spending money anyway.

166 REPLIES 166

@kymuir wrote:

I've had my Canon 70D for less than two years. I was a full-time student and barely used the camera during the time I've had it, it probably has less than 2,000 shutters. I recently tried to turn on the camera to no avail and realized that it needed to be sent in for repairs. I just received the estimate and it says I also need a "main pcb ass'y" replaced for around $432. Is it worth the cost of replacement? The camera is in like-new condition and I've taken great care of it, is this worth arguing with them about? 

Unless you are a DIYer, a Do-It-Yourselfer, then I would let Canon repair it. If Canon repairs it, they will go through it thoroughly and bring it back to factory specifications.  Be sure to ask them about how long the repairs are guaranteed.

A DIY type would keep the old body for spare parts, and buy a new used one somewhere for about twice that cost of repair. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I'm having them send it back. I found a certified third party willing to fix it for much less. Canon was charging over $200 for the labor alone. Thank you for the advice, though! I don't think I would trust myself enough to make the repairs.

The whole experience makes me question whether or not I'll choose another canon camera in the future. Love the photo quality but can't handle that repair price for a $1k cropped-frame camera.

Looks like I got hit with this fault to.

I was recording a few videos when the camera froze and gave a err 80. The next day put another battery in and it worked fine for about 10 photos then froze err 80 then dead.

It was cool outside and it never felt hot or anything like that. I did notice something funny today though. I put a new battery in and when the battery door closed I saw the view finder get light. I put on my 18-135 STM put it to manuel fouce mode then turned the camera on and sure enough I was about to focuse the lens. STM lenses need power to work right?

So why is the lens getting power and the view finder but not the whole camera is not. Seems like some funny wiring. If I was the one building the camera I would give the lens power through the camrea not around it if you know what I mean.

I am going to take the camera apart and have a look at the PCB and see what the issue might be. Some of the guys I work with know all kinds of stuff about PCBs and what have you so im going to  have them look at it.

Its not worth the $450 to get it fixed I could pick up another body for a bit more then that. So looks like I might upgrade maybe the 5d mark iv so I can shoot some really good stills as well as video. Seems kinda funny that canons midrange DSLR goes out after two years. Kinda like canon wants us all to upgrade. Now I have to dig really deep in my pockets.

Anyway someone with this issue try there STM lens and see if you come up with the same results!

Frustrated reading all of this.  Just got my 70D back from Canon after a $450 bill and need to shoot video.  Should I not use the camera for video?

I had the same problem with my 70D last year.  It died in the middle of shooting a wedding.  I sent it in, and the repair bill came to almost $500.  Of course, they don't tell you what the entire cost will be until you agree to pay whatever they charge.  I have another 70D, and have never had a problem with that one.  Now, it will record for a minute or two and then just shut off.  When I check the battery it says it's almost full.  Then it will record again, and the battery indicator will flash like it's dead.  I pull the battery, and it says it has the same charge as before.

It's a shame that canon doesn't acknowledge this clearly design fault. My camera has less than 6k shots and less than 100 video hours and now it's showing similar issues as described here: Fuzzy LV image (menus looks fine though), err70/80, partial fuzzy pics when it works but most of the time can't power on or can't write pic to SD.

I already suffered S1-IS bad sensor design (which was repaired for free out of warranty). And SX10 sensor also failed. Owned: [older canon, AE-1, F1], A-75, S1-IS, S2-IS, a590, S5-IS, SX-10, T3i, T5i and finally 70d.

So 3 out of 9 digital canon cameras I owned had design flaws. The LEAST canon have to do is repair this for free. I'm extremely carful with my cameras, this is a 1000u$ body which should at least last for 50k shots.  I don't take too much pictures, all of my cameras were sold and replaced before 10k shots after two years or less ussage.

I'm quite dissapointed now...

Hello isidroco, 

From what you describe of this issue I recommend sending the camera into Canon for evaluation.  You can set up a repair on Canon's web site below. 

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/service-repair

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Tim, I manage to send the camera to brazil where Canon Brazil DOES REPAIR FOR FREE. It's obviously a huge mother batch with problems. What irritates me is that Canon Worldwide don't recognize this as THEIR fault and charges more than 400u$ for this issue. In Argentina there was more than 50 cases (which is probably more than 10% of our market) last year and there are 30 more waiting for mothers since december (I spoke with a Canon oficial technician). Failure can happen with less than 1000 shots on mint cameras.

As they did with the S1-IS sensors and the SX-10 sensors (I also hit those manufacturing errors and were repaired for free out of warranty). I expected free support for their faults. With social networks this will certainly hurt their reputation. I won't recomend canon anymore and will post about this in all photography sites.

Yes Tim, Canon Brazil has already assumed that is a factory issue and they are fixing it for free. Tell everybody that, so they can fix the problem.

Hello, 

I am interested in your statement. Did Canon ''assumed that this is a factory issue'' in an official statement? was there any trial in court? Any information in an online paper? 

I am asking all these as I have the same problem and am looking for factual evidence that I could use to get my repair money back.

Thank you!

Announcements