cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 70D died

carsonart
Apprentice

My 70D that is only 1yr 1/2 old died all of the sudden.  I have only used it lightly and have taken very good care of it.  I tried another battery thinking that may be the probelem.  Even a brand new Canon battery did not turn it on.  Just no juice, nothing.  I sent it to Canon service center, and they sent me an estimate for $224.  I called to ask what the problem was, they said they still dont know, that  was just to take a look and fix the issue if there is one.  If it is something with major damage they will contact me with a different estimate.

It worked perfectly fine one day.  I charged the battery back up, plugged it it, and just never turned back on again.  I haven't even paid off the camera yet on my best buy card, so I have a real problem with Canon charging me anything so soon, and for an obviously lightly used camera.  

Has anyone had a similar issue before?  Is having Canon do this my best option?  I read another post of someone who fixed themselves, but I'm of course leery not knowing exactly wha the problem is.  Plus I have shoots lined up, and need to act fast.

I wish they had a better program to just trade up or something, if I'm spending money anyway.

166 REPLIES 166

@ericeriffic wrote:

OMG, I'm in the same dilema as you.  My first camera was a Canon 60D and I've used it to record my videos for youtube for four years and I never had a problem with it.  I switched with the Canon 70D because of the bells & whistle of autofocus which was great, but my Canon 70D failed on me at March 25, 2016.  I was in the process of recording videos, I was able to record three video trials but for my fourth one the camera just completely froze while I was recording.  My 70D can still take photos, but video wise, it's completely useless now.  I sent my 70D for repaired and they claimed "the main pcb assembly needs to be replaced to return the camera to good working."

The obvious guess in the cases being reported is that the PCB gets subjected to repeated overheating and that eventually some critical component gets permanently fried.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hi, thanks for all the feedback...

I got my camera fixed, it just arrived back from Canon. I opened a case and shipped to them. It was about a month out of warranty but they fixed it for free after inspection. It was a gamble, and I am happy they honored the warranty even expired. I guess they won't nickel and dimme you on that kind of thing where their reputation is on the line and they did fix it.

Root cause was similar of other cases here, they replaced the PCB and that was it. Most of my settings remained, but I had to reinstall my custom picture profiles.

Very happy again and glad I did not over react and sold everything 🙂

@tezza64 wrote:

hi Alavrow

it is wierd how this fault happens just after the waranty runs out?.... by the way they say the problem was  the main pcb board had gone and had to be replaced.

There must be a department within Canon where the black arts are practiced so as to cause malfunctions at will. 

Did you ever get a resolve to this issue?

tezza64
Contributor
Nice work, i said there were not just a one off, cannon should give pepole there money back

@tezza64 wrote:
Nice work, i said there were not just a one off, cannon should give pepole there money back

Why? 

There is a clearly written warning in every Canon DSLR instruction manual that I have looked at, which warns you that extensive use of Live View or Video Mode can cause the camera body to get very hot to the touch. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

In my case I didn't used too much. My device was not even warm. In fact it was cold when it happend. As you can not take videos without live view (cause the viewfinder is off in video mode) is ridiculous to think that you can loose your camera for recording 30 seconds of video.

This is the big manual of the 70D (http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/5/0300011965/03/eos70d-im4-en.pdf) tell me where is written that advise of burning the PCB forever.
In fact in page 249 are the warnings about live viewing, and it talks about the possibility of image colour aberration and a warning light in case of highs temeratures. There is nothing, not a single word about crushing the PCB. Always repeat that in case of high temperatures, let the camera get down, and then use it again.

@Marcelo wrote:
This is the big manual of the 70D (http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/5/0300011965/03/eos70d-im4-en.pdf) tell me where is written that advise of burning the PCB forever.
In fact in page 249 are the warnings about live viewing, and it talks about the possibility of image colour aberration and a warning light in case of highs temeratures. There is nothing, not a single word about crushing the PCB. Always repeat that in case of high temperatures, let the camera get down, and then use it again.

Correct.  There are warnings about excessive heat buildup, and letting the camera cool down.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

First, there was not overheating.
Second, there are not advisings about damage. Only advise of bad footage, while letting rest the camera solve the problem. I never had overheating, never had image or coulour aberrations or any other issue. In fact the camera had been using for short periods of time, and it was almost cool to my hands.
Again, thinking of people who use it to work on parties (not my case with the 70D) this camera is totally unuseful. As Canon marketing of this camera goes around its video good qualities, it should advise: NOT FOR VIDEO LONG USE TO AVOID MAIN DAMAGE. And that is the point.
There are thousands complaining about same 80 error issue. That is not casual.

Announcements