cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 70D died

carsonart
Apprentice

My 70D that is only 1yr 1/2 old died all of the sudden.  I have only used it lightly and have taken very good care of it.  I tried another battery thinking that may be the probelem.  Even a brand new Canon battery did not turn it on.  Just no juice, nothing.  I sent it to Canon service center, and they sent me an estimate for $224.  I called to ask what the problem was, they said they still dont know, that  was just to take a look and fix the issue if there is one.  If it is something with major damage they will contact me with a different estimate.

It worked perfectly fine one day.  I charged the battery back up, plugged it it, and just never turned back on again.  I haven't even paid off the camera yet on my best buy card, so I have a real problem with Canon charging me anything so soon, and for an obviously lightly used camera.  

Has anyone had a similar issue before?  Is having Canon do this my best option?  I read another post of someone who fixed themselves, but I'm of course leery not knowing exactly wha the problem is.  Plus I have shoots lined up, and need to act fast.

I wish they had a better program to just trade up or something, if I'm spending money anyway.

166 REPLIES 166

alvarow
Apprentice

I think have the same problem happen to my 70D today 😞 very disappointed as I got it BF last year, so about 3 weeks over warranty. I have taken about 15k shots with it but really good care and never dropped it or anything like that. It never came back on after switching battery this afternoon. I am hoping for the damned battery door switch (Canon... hello... poor design here)... I have a few lens, but I now am wondering if I sell it as is with the lenses and go Nikon. 😞

hi Alavrow

i now have my camrera back and its working fine, i have spoken to canon and they said because there is only a hand full like this out of thouseneds, they say it is not a manafactuers  fault. if you have no waranty it will cost you around $200 to get it fixed. it is wierd how this fault happens just after the waranty runs out? good luck on what you choose to do. sorry i could not be of more help, by the way they say the problem was  the main pcb board had gone and had to be replaced.

@tezza64 wrote:

hi Alavrow

i now have my camrera back and its working fine, i have spoken to canon and they said because there is only a hand full like this out of thouseneds, they say it is not a manafactuers  fault. if you have no waranty it will cost you around $200 to get it fixed. it is wierd how this fault happens just after the waranty runs out? good luck on what you choose to do. sorry i could not be of more help, by the way they say the problem was  the main pcb board had gone and had to be replaced.

To anyone thinking of buying a 70D: Note that for a bit more than twice the cost of that repair, you could upgrade your purchase to a 7D Mark II. And if you believe even half the stories about autofocus problems on the 70D, that might be a no-brainer.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I would agree with Bob in picking the 7D Mk II over the 70D, but for a different set of reasons.  Performance.  I was looking to upgrade from a Rebel T5.  The performance gain wasn't worth the price until I looked at the 7D Mk II and the 6D price points. 

This means I skipped over the T6i, T6s, 60D, 70D, and even a brand new 7D being sold on clearance.  My next problem was deciding whether the leap up to the 5D, which I decided against.  But, that was before the 5Ds came out. ....

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@RobertTheFat

That is very good advice.  Had I known what I know now, I would have got something like the 7D.  I never even knew the 70D had an autofocus problem.  I've experienced it myself many times, so after getting to know the camera for a year or so, it's clear its not always an issue with my technique.  I'm already thinking about how I can upgrade.  Even with L lenses, the image just isn't the same as something like a 7D or 5D.

I never compared shots with 7Dmk2... but my 70D shots are or par of better than 7D a friend had... I prefer the 70D over 7Dmk1... newer everything...

Interesting conversation regarding the two camera models. I've owned and heavely used the 70D for 2 years or more. Never a problem. Fine machine. Being a bit of a gear head I purchased the markII about 4 months ago. There is , to me anyway, a huge difference in the two cameras, but they both seem to be real troopers. I'm fairly hard on my equipment as I shoot farming activities, construction job sites, etc. and both cameras handle the rough and tumble life very well.

?

This information is very concerning for anyone thinking of buying canon cameras,  I HOPE CANON ARE KEEPING AN EYE ON THIS, GET THIS SORTED FOR PEOPLE WHO HAD PROBLEMS WITH THE 70D,  I know I had my 70d fixed but if I could take it back I would go for the 7d m|| 

It's not true that this is just a case in thousands....

Since my 70D died 4 days ago I discovered thousand people struggling to have a serious answer from Canon INC., because the 70D has a factory fault. If you use it often to record video (as I do, it's my job) the mainboards collapses between 2 and 3 years. That's why many people in these days are watching their cameras dying. First it will stuck with an ERROR number (70 or 80) then after rebooting it a couple of times it won't turn on again, so bye bye the mainboard.

If you want you can see in change.org people rising signatures to make Canon respond for its fault.

In facebook there are a group named "70D erro 80", that is growing day by day (and it is only a 70D brazilian owners) with people complaining without an answer.

I am an old costumer of canon products. I had a Optura 50 (camcorder), a VIxia HV30 (HD camcorder), then my first DSLR EOS 60D, and actually the 70D. I never had any problem with the old models. In fact they are still working. But now I am very dessapointed because nobody seems to be responsible of the fault in the 70D.

And I can assure you that day after day there'll be  more and more cases of dead 70D.

OMG, I'm in the same dilema as you.  My first camera was a Canon 60D and I've used it to record my videos for youtube for four years and I never had a problem with it.  I switched with the Canon 70D because of the bells & whistle of autofocus which was great, but my Canon 70D failed on me at March 25, 2016.  I was in the process of recording videos, I was able to record three video trials but for my fourth one the camera just completely froze while I was recording.  My 70D can still take photos, but video wise, it's completely useless now.  I sent my 70D for repair and they claimed "the main pcb assembly needs to be replaced to return the camera to good working."

Announcements