cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 70D auto focus issue in T,A,M,P mode

glaperdrix
Apprentice

Help, please?

Auto focus on my Canon 70D is not working in P,T, A, and M mode, while working perfectly in Auto, CA and SCN mode.

I have to press the back button AF-on to focus when taking a picture. But if I use live view the auto focus is working normally.

I believe that pressing the shutter button half way should always start focusing, also for the T, A , M and P mode?

I tried restoring the factory settings but it does not help a thing.

Is there somewhere some setting I should change, am I thinking wrong or is my camera not working properly?

Thank you for any help!

Regard, Gerard

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bdodd
Contributor

Hi Gerard,

The 70D (like many of the Canon DSLRs) has customization options to assign which button(s) perform the auto focus (AF) start function. It sounds like these options may have been changed from their original default settings.

To see if that is the case, check the settings for C.Fn III on your camera. See pages 383 - 386 of your manual. You may see that your shutter button is no longer set to perfom AF start.

You can reset those C.Fn III-4 setting to their original default settings by pressing the "trash can" icon while in the menu screen shown in step 3 on page 383. See the note in blue at the bottom of that page.

And note that the "Clear All Camera settings" option shown on page 61 of the manual will not reset custom functions. So that may explain why your restore settings attempt earlier didn't help.

Bill

EOS 7D Mk II, EOS 40D, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

ScottyP
Authority
Is it definitely a focusing problem, or could it possibly be motion blur of the subject or of the camera? What shutter speeds are you shooting, what lens(es) are you using, and does it work better/differently outside in bright daylight?
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Thank you Scott.   My problem is solved, for some reason the shutter button had another function.

But thanks anyway for thinking about this!

regards, Gerard

bdodd
Contributor

Hi Gerard,

The 70D (like many of the Canon DSLRs) has customization options to assign which button(s) perform the auto focus (AF) start function. It sounds like these options may have been changed from their original default settings.

To see if that is the case, check the settings for C.Fn III on your camera. See pages 383 - 386 of your manual. You may see that your shutter button is no longer set to perfom AF start.

You can reset those C.Fn III-4 setting to their original default settings by pressing the "trash can" icon while in the menu screen shown in step 3 on page 383. See the note in blue at the bottom of that page.

And note that the "Clear All Camera settings" option shown on page 61 of the manual will not reset custom functions. So that may explain why your restore settings attempt earlier didn't help.

Bill

EOS 7D Mk II, EOS 40D, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM

Hello Bill, thank you for your answer..  It is exactly as you explained: for some reason the shutter button had another function, no idea how I managed to change it. But I went to that menu option and pushed the trash button.  And my problem is solved!

As I already had to send my camera back to Canon once, I was affraid to have to do it again. But no, it was only  my ignorance.

many thanks for your help!

regards from the Netherlands, Gerard

Gerard, you're welcome! Glad I was able to help and that your camera is sorted now without having to go back to Canon. I love that the DSLRs these days have so much power and so many features. But as a result they are also complicated and can be frustrating when something doesn't seem to be working as expected. 🙂

Bill

OldIT
Apprentice
I had the exact same problem - no focus light in AV TV and P modes. Tried resetting camera but nothing. Finally realized it was set to AI Servo. Changed to AI Focus or One Shot and all is well again.
Announcements