cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 70D and Canon RS-80N3 Remote Switch

mwikette5
Apprentice

Can the Canon RS-80N3 Remote Switch be used with the Canon 70D.  Is an adapter needed to allow the use.

3 REPLIES 3

Yorptunes
Enthusiast

I don't think so, I have a 7D and a after market switch that has the same three prong recepticle as the 80N3 and it will not work in my 70D.  However, I don't need a switch since the 70D has built in WIFI and allows me to use my Iphone as the remote switch plus alot more that the remote switch cannot do.  It also works well with android smart phones.  

Canon Remote Switch RS60 E3 this is the switch you need if you don't want to use the wifi feature.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

An adapter is needed.  

All of these wired remote releases use 3-conductor wire.  On the 70D, the camera uses a 3-conductor jack that resembles a stereo headphone jack.  On the RS-80N3, the jack is completely different.  

You may want to just get an RS-60E3 since it's fairly inexpensive.  

If you were using the Canon TC80N3 remote trigger / intervalometer, then it'd be worth getting the adapter.  

The Canon RA-E3 adapter cable has one end that goes into the 70D (most any camera that uses stereo-headphone jack style connector) and the other end has the 3-conductor plug that the RS-80N3 and TC80N3 use.

The "trick" is finding the RA-E3.  The only reason I knew this thing existed is because it comes with the Canon 60Da astrophotography camera.  But it turns out Canon doesn't normally sell it as an accessory.  You actually have to call their parts department -- it's treated more like a replacement part than an accessory cable.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements