cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 70D Problem taking pictures and recording

jotaselito
Apprentice

Hello,

I have a Canon 70D since July 2014 and it's not working for me anymore. Whenever I tried to take a picture or record a video this is what I see as a result:

Foto 16-12-17 10 48 04.jpg

Also, the live view shows something similar, although sometimes Live View works fine.

I've tried with different SD cards (in fact, the pictures I'm showing you are without SD Card) and upgrading the firmware.

Any ideas of what happens?

Thanks!

Jose

6 REPLIES 6

@jotaselito wrote:

Hello,

I have a Canon 70D since July 2014 and it's not working for me anymore. Whenever I tried to take a picture or record a video this is what I see as a result:

Foto 16-12-17 10 48 04.jpg

Also, the live view shows something similar, although sometimes Live View works fine.

I've tried with different SD cards (in fact, the pictures I'm showing you are without SD Card) and upgrading the firmware.

Any ideas of what happens?

Thanks!

Jose

"Without a target (i.e., card?) in the camera", right? Which I believe is what you said for this test. So what, exactly, isn't working?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

What you see in the screen of the camera is the picture taken (yes, it's not being saved to a SD, but if it was, the result would be the same). I can't record (image, sound is good) and take pictures. All I get is something similar to what you see in the sample

Cheers, Jose.

@jotaselito wrote:

What you see in the screen of the camera is the picture taken (yes, it's not being saved to a SD, but if it was, the result would be the same). I can't record (image, sound is good) and take pictures. All I get is something similar to what you see in the sample

Cheers, Jose.

The foreground object appears to be more or less properly exposed, while the background is dark. Which is what happens when the background illumination is inadequate. Is there more to this that I'm somehow missing?

Bob

Sorry, my fault since I thought with the pictures it was going to be clear. Let me attach the result from the camera:

IMG_8527.JPGAlthough I'm new in the forum I'm quite exprienced with the camera, so definitely not a problem with the settings in terms of exposure 🙂

Cheers,

Jose

Sorry, looks like a dead sensor.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Sorry, looks like a dead sensor.

Or, since the OP reports that the live view image is sometimes displayed correctly, a flaky component on the circuit board. Either way, there's no DIY fix; the camera will have to go in for repair.

We've seen many reports of similar problems with the 70D that have required repair or replacement of the circuit board. I believe the accepted wisdom is that a component on the board overheats when the camera is recording a video.

Bob
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements