cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 70D Perpendicular shots Problem

naveenshrimal
Apprentice

My new Canon 70D is not able to take pictures while keeping it vertically i.e. above 60 degree angle from Horizontal.
Is it a problem or all DSLR behaves like that only?
for eg.
Let's say I am lying on my bed and I want to take a snap of my roof then I will hold in 90 degree position but then it
will fail to capture the focus and does not take the shot.

Does any body is having the same problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Skirball
Authority

No, there is no reason why the angle at which you shoot should have any impact on the focus ability of the camera.  Are you sure it's not because you're trying to achieve focus on a blank wall or some other subject issue?

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Skirball
Authority

No, there is no reason why the angle at which you shoot should have any impact on the focus ability of the camera.  Are you sure it's not because you're trying to achieve focus on a blank wall or some other subject issue?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Smiley Surprised?????????? Wow, OK!  The camera will work in either porition.  It probably can't get focus on your "roof" or ceilling.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

naveenshrimal
Apprentice

First of All,, A big thanks for such a prompt response.

I just bought my first DSLR that too worth 1550$ so I don't want anything get wrong with my first DSLR.

I am in th eprocess of learning and that is why I didn't know whether it is normal with all dslr or it's just me.

Now talk about the problem, as you BOTH said may be it is because it is not able to acquire focus on blank wall, because sometimes it takes(20%) and sometimes it doesn't (80%).

I will check it today and keep you guys posted. I will put something on the wall so that focus can be acquired.

But still a big thanks.

You need contrast.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@naveenshrimal wrote:

Now talk about the problem, as you BOTH said may be it is because it is not able to acquire focus on blank wall, because sometimes it takes(20%) and sometimes it doesn't (80%).

Sure, a blank ceiling really isn't blank.  It could be finding focus on a shadow or texture, or you might have just placed one of the sensors over something with some contrast.  If you're doing this indoors and it's relatively dark, then it is going to have an even harder time finding focus.

When you look through the viewfinder you'll see a bunch of little dots.  Make sure one of these dots is on something with some contrast and you should find focus.  If they're all on a blank white wall then it will hunt.

naveenshrimal
Apprentice

Thanks again...

You are right sometimes it acquire focus at texture of the roof and sometimes just can't.

What if I disable autofocus and use only manual focus . then it should not be an issue? Am I right?

Sure, you can always use manual focus. 

naveenshrimal
Apprentice

You guys were right.

Thanks a ton to both of you,

I checked it yesterday and it was because of focus only.

It is working fine.

Tomorrow I'm on street for the first time with my DSLR wish me some hard work.

Announcements