cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 70D Froze -- Won't Turn On Anymore

eric56379
Apprentice

Hi,

I got a Canon 70D from someone on Facebook, and they said that they were selling it for a lower price than usual, because the camera froze up and he couldn't turn it off. So, he took the battery out, put the battery back in, tried turning it on again, and it didn't turn on.

He stopped using it for two years, then he tried turning it back on again, and it still didn't work. So, when I bought it, I thought that it was the battery door issue. I used a small paper clip to push the little lever on the battery door, and that didn't work. I charged up the batteries and tried turning it on again, and it still didn't work. I called Canon, and they said that it could've been Error 70 or Error 80, and if the camera broke because of that reason, then they will repair it for me free of charge.

However, I honestly have no clue if I should send it in or not. I wanted to see if I could've fixed in in two to three days for a trip I'm going on, but I am having zero luck. I'm going to bring it into a camera store, and see if they're able to see if it's something minor that they can fix, but I highly doubt that it'll work. 

I am wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue before, and I would really appreciate if I could get some help with trying to get it fixed.

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4

The problem that Canon probably thinks you have is a burned out element on the main circuit board, a very expensive repair. If they'll fix it for you for free, you would literally have to be crazy not to take them up on it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

The problem that Canon probably thinks you have is a burned out element on the main circuit board, a very expensive repair. If they'll fix it for you for free, you would literally have to be crazy not to take them up on it.

The person at Canon Support said that if I sent in the camera, and see that the camera is broken because of an Error 70 or an Error 80, they'd fix it. They said if it was anything else, it was an estimate of $207. They said that it might've been one of those errors, because when I gave them my serial number, the first two numbers began between "0-22". I think mine was 17. So it must've been a bad batch of cameras with this issue in common. However, I still don't really know if I'd want to send it in, because I do not know this is the issue for sure, and if it isn't, I don't want to go 1-2 weeks and anxiously wait to see if my wallet will get soaked up with this repair bill.

I mean, I would send it in, but I didn't think that this repair was such a big deal. I've seen others repair it by turning the lever in the battery door, or by formatting an SD Card. But my gut instincts are telling me that that's not the issue...

What do you think it could be? Do you still think it's that main circuit board burning out?

@eric56379 wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

The person at Canon Support said that if I sent in the camera, and see that the camera is broken because of an Error 70 or an Error 80, they'd fix it. They said if it was anything else, it was an estimate of $207. They said that it might've been one of those errors, because when I gave them my serial number, the first two numbers began between "0-22". I think mine was 17. So it must've been a bad batch of cameras with this issue in common. However, I still don't really know if I'd want to send it in, because I do not know this is the issue for sure, and if it isn't, I don't want to go 1-2 weeks and anxiously wait to see if my wallet will get soaked up with this repair bill.

I mean, I would send it in, but I didn't think that this repair was such a big deal. I've seen others repair it by turning the lever in the battery door, or by formatting an SD Card. But my gut instincts are telling me that that's not the issue...

What do you think it could be? Do you still think it's that main circuit board burning out?

I would have no way of knowing; I've only even seen a 70D once. But if was an easy fix, why do think you got it cheap? Have you been following the history of the 70D? It's documented in countless articles in this forum. The 70D has long been considered a lemon by many of its users, because of the randomly occurring circuit board issue which rendered the camera useless and cost more than $300 to fix. Earlier this year Canon finally acknowledged the seriousness of the issue and agreed to fix it for free in many cases. It's possible that your seller didn't know about that development and that it's why it was priced low.

Go and read the articles. If it seems to you that the symptoms apply to your case, you might well decide to have the camera repaired. Then you might end up getting some value for the money you spent on the camera, which otherwise seems to have been wasted.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I got the camera, two lenses, two batteries, a charger, and a backpack for it, all for only $300.

I found out what the issues was: Looking at the S/N of the camera, it looked like it was in a defective batch of 70D's that Canon manufactured. The cameras were overheating, mostly due to video, which about 10 videos were taken on the camera before I bought it. I am sending the camera in for a repair, and I believe that they will do that free repair for me, because it fit the criteria: It wouldn't turn on, the S/N qualified for the repair, and it froze while recording, which was likely the Error 70/80.

Thank you, Robert!

Announcements