cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6d mkII limited screen responses

mully
Apprentice
Spoiler

Hi all, i'm out in madagascar on a photography trip, and my main body, a very lightly used 6d mkII's screen has stopped responding, no response when i hit the menu, liveview etc, nothing, but weirdly it does perform completely normally when i switch it off and on, with the "sensor cleaning" message, also "no card in camera" message, but apart from that nothing. It's extremely frustrating as i am unable to change any menu settings, or operate live view, or even look at my pics after shooting, but again, strangely i get the fraction of a second brief dispaly of my shot after i shoot, The camera has been like this now for some weeks, and i'm still using it, despite its current limited functionality. Any advice or assistance will be greatly appreciated,

Best Regards

6 REPLIES 6

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Hit the info button a few times or make sure that the eyepiece is set properly.

mully
Apprentice
Thanks, but no change...why would the eyepiece affect the screen?

Not sure about the 6D, but some cameras have a sensor at the eyepiece that turns of the LCD when it is blocked (i.e. when you put your eye to the viewfinder.) A mispositioned eyecup can block the sensor.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Might also try resetting the camera (if possible), with the lens and card removed.  I know you said you are not able to see the screen in some cases so this migjt not be possible.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for the response, but i have no idea how i could reset when i cannot access any of the menus, also, even if i could reset, and it did'nt, solve the issue, i would then have a camera without current firmware, and i'd have lost my settings in regards to image quality, like raw for example, so that's a major concern, as i would not be able to get back into the menu system, and select raw.

You've crossed the line into "time to contact Canon" for service territory. You'll have to limp through the rest of your trip, come home and get the body serviced.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It
Announcements