cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6d mark II autofocus issues with Tamron 24-70 f 2.8

go6io94
Apprentice

Hey there!
I bought 6d mark II with new Tamron 24-70 f 2.8 lens. When I'm shooting in photo mode I keep having problems with the autofocus... I'm getting the "err 01" message. Not everytime. It's getting the "err 01" when I'm changing the focal lengt fast 24 to 70 for example, and when I'm trying to get focus fast. On video mode I got "err 70" several times and my video files who are broken because of that error are .DAT files and I can't restore them. I've updated the firmware of the camera but still. I went to the distributors here in Bulgaria and they just told me that they can send it in the service. A guy who is working the told me that I shoundn't shoot in HIGH SPEED SHOOING MODE and that was the reason for getting "err 01" in photo mode. I've tested the camera with different lenses (Canon 50mm f1.8 USM, the new Tamron 24-70mm f 2.8, Sigma 17-35mm) and I didn't have the message "err 01" in photo mode. I've tested the my 24-70 Tamron with the autofocus turned off and I didn't got the message "err 01"! That's making me think, that the new Canon 6d mark II has a problem with the old Tamron 24-70mm f 2.8.
And the problem is in the software or something like that.
I realy hope that problem is going to be solved realy soon with the next firmare update.
It's verry didisappointing because the same 24-70mm Tamron doesn't have the same problem with the 5D mark 4.

37 REPLIES 37

That's what it is written in the new firmware notes:

1.Corrects an erroneous display that appears when some third-party accessories are attached.

Anyway i will check it with more accouracy and then i will let you know...

"Corrects an erroneous display that appears when some third-party accessories are attached"

Right it corrects the LCD display.  It does not make them work.  They can't.  How would Canon know how an off brand company made their product?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@Mattekudasay wrote:

That's what it is written in the new firmware notes:

1.Corrects an erroneous display that appears when some third-party accessories are attached.

Anyway i will check it with more accouracy and then i will let you know...

I believe that “some third party accessories” is referring to devices that mount on the hot shoe, not lenses.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Unfortunately you're right... the trouble is still here...

And nobody cares...

Little troubles for people not so rich to spend $2000 to change a lens that was working very well on Canon 6D...

"And nobody cares..."

It's not that, if I could tell you how to make it work I would.  However, you can't expect Canon to help you with somebody elses gear.  You need to get a hold of Tamron.  They may have a solution.

Canon cameras are made for Canon lenses.  Call Tamron.

EB

Wandalynn
Enthusiast

I had similar problems with my 6D/II and Sigma 105mm macro. At first, the camera would just shut down when I tried taking a picture. Then I read to be sure to turn off aberration correction. That stopped the shutting down. Then I noticed I was having under-exposure anomalies. None of this had happened for 4 years with this lens and my Canon 70D. I ended up sending in the lens to Sigma and having the firmware updated, at no charge other than shipping to Sigma. After it was returned, I was still having the intermittent exposure problem (underexposing), so I decided to just sell the Sigma and buy the Canon macro. I wanted a lens that would work on both cameras. I don't know if this will help you or not but that was my experience. And I LOVE my new Canon macro! It is superior to the Sigma in several ways. I'm sticking with Canon lenses from now on.

"I'm sticking with Canon lenses from now on."

This is great advice. There is no doubt there are third party lenses that should be avoided.  However, if you follow that policy strictly you will miss out on some truly great off brand lenses.  I mainly mean lenses that Canon does not make. For instance the Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM otherwise I totally agree "stick with Canon".

EB

shadowsports
Legend
Legend
Late reply, but I chose the Sigma over the Tamron for this exact reason. But the Sigma 24-70 worked with the 6D2 out of the box.

Contact Tamron. Open a support request. They will never address it if you don't ask.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

s15jake
Apprentice

Hi go6io94,

Did you manage to get it fixed if so whats the fix? Same problem here. Updated camera firmware same problem, sent in for service same problem presisting. Just make me think is there no fix for this problem or retailer just didnt try fixing it.

Thanks

"Updated camera firmware same problem,..."

You updated your camera's FW and expected it to fix problems with an off brand lens?  No you didin't?  Canon is not going to, nor do they have any intention to make their cameras work with off brand gear.

EB
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements