cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6d mark II autofocus issues with Tamron 24-70 f 2.8

go6io94
Apprentice

Hey there!
I bought 6d mark II with new Tamron 24-70 f 2.8 lens. When I'm shooting in photo mode I keep having problems with the autofocus... I'm getting the "err 01" message. Not everytime. It's getting the "err 01" when I'm changing the focal lengt fast 24 to 70 for example, and when I'm trying to get focus fast. On video mode I got "err 70" several times and my video files who are broken because of that error are .DAT files and I can't restore them. I've updated the firmware of the camera but still. I went to the distributors here in Bulgaria and they just told me that they can send it in the service. A guy who is working the told me that I shoundn't shoot in HIGH SPEED SHOOING MODE and that was the reason for getting "err 01" in photo mode. I've tested the camera with different lenses (Canon 50mm f1.8 USM, the new Tamron 24-70mm f 2.8, Sigma 17-35mm) and I didn't have the message "err 01" in photo mode. I've tested the my 24-70 Tamron with the autofocus turned off and I didn't got the message "err 01"! That's making me think, that the new Canon 6d mark II has a problem with the old Tamron 24-70mm f 2.8.
And the problem is in the software or something like that.
I realy hope that problem is going to be solved realy soon with the next firmare update.
It's verry didisappointing because the same 24-70mm Tamron doesn't have the same problem with the 5D mark 4.

37 REPLIES 37

Indeed, ebiggs, a *lens* firware update is more likely to help.

Looks like the case. Will send it in for another go. Cheers for your help.

@s15jake wrote:

Looks like the case. Will send it in for another go. Cheers for your help.

Do you mean send the camera back to Canon?  Why?  It seems to be the lens.  I suggest a different brand of lens, like Canon.  If you are not using third party software in post, then you should stick with using only Canon lenses and DPP.  DPP does not perform lens correction on third party lenses.  Nearly every lens needs and benefits from some amount of correction.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

no no i mean send the lens back to tamron 

@s15jake wrote:

no no i mean send the lens back to tamron 

Okay.  I am not an enthusiastic fan of third party lenses, although I do own a couple of them.  I advise returning the lens to the vendor for a refund, and buy the Canon lens.  I think you have a bad copy of the lens.

The 6D2 has been on the market long enough for Tamron to have worked out the kinks in the lens with any firmware updates that were needed.  Perhaps, a firmware fix really is all that it needs, which assumes that one actually exists to fix your problem.  

It is usually a good idea to spend the extra $$$ for the USB device for lenses that offer them.  The cost of one is almost always cheaper than the cost of insuring and shipping the lens back to the manufacturer.  If you wish to keep the lens, then this is course of action that I would advise.  

Buy the USB device, and do the upgrade yourself.  You can look at the available updates online before you do anything.  Check to see if there is a firmware update to correct your problem.  Again, I think you have a bad copy of the lens.  Get a refund.

If the lens is not the G2 version, it is not user upgradeable.  Tamron is where it belongs.  It is always best to stick with Canon but I understand the desire to save money.  I have used the Tamron with no issues but not on a 6D2. For whatever it's worth,  I consider the Tamron G2 model better than the Sigma model.

The Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens is the best lens made. Deserving of its lofty price tag.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The following is from the Tamron site http://www.tamron-usa.com/support/updates_canon.html :

"Notice about compatibility for Canon EOS 6D Mark II with Tamron lens (8/8/2017)

Dear users and potential purchasers of Tamron interchangeable lenses.

Thank you for using Tamron products and for your continued support.

Please kindly note the following when using a Tamron lens on a recently announced Canon EOS 6D Mark II. (Introduced to market on August 4th, 2017 in Japan)

1. Please make sure the “Lens aberration correction” function is turned off prior to use of the camera (from camera menu). However, you may turn off the function only on Program modes. i.e. Program AE, Shutter priority, Aperture priority, Manual exposure mode.

2. We have found with the Tamron lenses listed below, under the “Live View” Mode, an error will occur without the above settings. By turning the “Lens aberration correction” function to “OFF”, there will be no error message.

・ SP 35mm F/1.8 Di VC USD (Model F012)
・ SP 45mm F/1.8 Di VC USD (Model F013)
・ SP 85mm F/1.8 Di VC USD (Model F016)
* Please try to remove and insert battery when the error occurs.

We sincerely apologize to all users and potential purchasers for any inconvenience this issue may cause. "

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
“We sincerely apologize to all users and potential purchasers for any inconvenience this issue may cause. "

Sounds like there will be no firmware update forthcoming on lenses that do not use the USB device.

Buy a Canon lens.
Announcements