cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6d mark II autofocus issues with Tamron 24-70 f 2.8

go6io94
Apprentice

Hey there!
I bought 6d mark II with new Tamron 24-70 f 2.8 lens. When I'm shooting in photo mode I keep having problems with the autofocus... I'm getting the "err 01" message. Not everytime. It's getting the "err 01" when I'm changing the focal lengt fast 24 to 70 for example, and when I'm trying to get focus fast. On video mode I got "err 70" several times and my video files who are broken because of that error are .DAT files and I can't restore them. I've updated the firmware of the camera but still. I went to the distributors here in Bulgaria and they just told me that they can send it in the service. A guy who is working the told me that I shoundn't shoot in HIGH SPEED SHOOING MODE and that was the reason for getting "err 01" in photo mode. I've tested the camera with different lenses (Canon 50mm f1.8 USM, the new Tamron 24-70mm f 2.8, Sigma 17-35mm) and I didn't have the message "err 01" in photo mode. I've tested the my 24-70 Tamron with the autofocus turned off and I didn't got the message "err 01"! That's making me think, that the new Canon 6d mark II has a problem with the old Tamron 24-70mm f 2.8.
And the problem is in the software or something like that.
I realy hope that problem is going to be solved realy soon with the next firmare update.
It's verry didisappointing because the same 24-70mm Tamron doesn't have the same problem with the 5D mark 4.

37 REPLIES 37

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

See if Tamron has a firmware update for the lens to get it to work better with the 6D.

But I don't have the 

Tamron TAP-in Console

So you have to send it in the old-fashioned way.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I realy hope that problem is going to be solved realy soon with the next firmare update."

This is not a Canon 6D Mk II problem. It is a Tamron problem.  Canon is never going to offer a FW update to make its cameras work with third party lenses.  You need to find a Tamron forum or better yet call Tamron.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

BTW, " A guy who is working the told me that I shoundn't shoot in HIGH SPEED SHOOING MODE and that was the reason for getting "err 01" in photo mode."

That is BS!  However, your bestest solution is to buy a Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens.  It will work flawlessly and produce far better images and vids.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I think your lens is most likely defective.  

There could be a compatibility issue with the 6D2, but this is the first that I have heard of one.  If there is an issue, then resolving it is most likely Tamron’s responsibility.

However, the most recent firmware for the 6D2 is 1.03, which corrects for “an erroneous display when some third party accessories are attached.”  I think they might mean the hot shoe, though.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It is Tamron's fault. When I turn off the autofocus on the lens, the camera stops giving me "err 01" in photo mode.

@go6io94 wrote:

It is Tamron's fault. When I turn off the autofocus on the lens, the camera stops giving me "err 01" in photo mode.

Yes, I think the lens is at fault, too.  But, it could be defective.  Exchange it for a new one, or get the Canon lens.  If you have never used L glass before, you do not know what you are missing.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I've used L series. I know how good it's. But still it doesn't have the stabilizer. And still it's crazy expensive. I realy like the L series but still the Tamron 24-70 f 2.8 it's great. I realy just don't find the answer... HOW IT'S WORKING WITH THE 5D MARK IV and it's having an issue with the 6D MARK II?! THAT'S MY QUESTION!

Announcements