cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6D2 - Does it meter exposure off detected faces when using live view with face tracking?

mlamb01
Contributor

Still learning my 6D2...  Can you set it to meter exposure off of any detected faces when using live view and face tracking, and how do you set that up?  I am getting into the AE lock functionality now, thinking about locking the exposure on a face and then recomposing, but is that necesary?

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The camera will bias the exposure at the locked AF point when using the OVF and Evaluative Metering.  I'm not sure if the behavior is the same for Live View, because a different metering system is used.

But, why are you using Live View?  The Optical Viewfinder can detect the skin tones of faces.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I used to use mostly the OVF on my previous camera, a t5i.  I wear glasses though, and it usually prevents me from getting my eye in close enough to see all the data in the OVF, especially the edges.  When I got the 6D2, I started experimenting abit more, and fell in love with live view.  I can see everything easily, I'm not hiding behind the camera and see more background problems, and I can easily take and compose low angle shots while standing on my feet.  And I thought with dual pixel autofocus in the 6D2 that live view focusing in faster and more accurate than thru the OVF?

@mlamb01 wrote:

I used to use mostly the OVF on my previous camera, a t5i.  I wear glasses though, and it usually prevents me from getting my eye in close enough to see all the data in the OVF, especially the edges.  When I got the 6D2, I started experimenting abit more, and fell in love with live view.  I can see everything easily, I'm not hiding behind the camera and see more background problems, and I can easily take and compose low angle shots while standing on my feet.  And I thought with dual pixel autofocus in the 6D2 that live view focusing in faster and more accurate than thru the OVF?

I also wear glasses. I have a problem using LiveView - eyes won't focus close enough with or without glasses. You can get diopter lenses for the OVF that can substitute for your glasses.

Screenshot 2021-01-04 141056.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@mlamb01 wrote:

I, too, wear glasses.  There is a sweet spot angle where everything comes into view for me, when I'm using the OVF.  If they made +10 diopter, then I would try.one of those.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements