cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6D underexposing

Meandmypup403
Apprentice

Hi. I recently got a Canon 6D (original version). I'm finding that it's consistently underexposing images. I shoot RAW images on aperture priority, and I always have to keep the exposure compensation set to +1EV. Different metering modes and lenses don't have any effect. I've read about quite a few other people having this issue, but is it normal for that camera? Should I send it back for calibration? (it's still under warranty)... Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Well, I talked to tech support and the camera is going back to Canon. I was hoping there would be an easy fix, but no such luck... thanks for the help

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

TDKLEX
Contributor

Which setting in 'Sharpness' should i use for best results.  I am now shooting with it set to maximum sharpness.  Does this just depend on personal preference, or is there a 'BEST' setting?

"...is there a 'BEST' setting?"

There is a "best" setting but that may not be it.  It depends on what you are doing. I always shoot Raw format so there is no sharp setting. It is set in post which is where it belongs and where you know what the "best" setting is.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you for your reply, that helps me understand.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Less is always best. This is what default [settings] are for. Defaults are what has been [determined] to be the best starting point. What is the best end result is up to you.

Maximum sharpness is almost never a good thing because it removes details.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for your help, i've been shooting for quite some time, but as you know, you can always learn.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
Sharpness is global and most of the time you don’t want that. In post you can mask out what should not be sharpened.
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks, i appreciate that.

Announcements