cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6D underexposing

Meandmypup403
Apprentice

Hi. I recently got a Canon 6D (original version). I'm finding that it's consistently underexposing images. I shoot RAW images on aperture priority, and I always have to keep the exposure compensation set to +1EV. Different metering modes and lenses don't have any effect. I've read about quite a few other people having this issue, but is it normal for that camera? Should I send it back for calibration? (it's still under warranty)... Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Well, I talked to tech support and the camera is going back to Canon. I was hoping there would be an easy fix, but no such luck... thanks for the help

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Meandmypup403 wrote:

Hi. I recently got a Canon 6D (original version). I'm finding that it's consistently underexposing images. I shoot RAW images on aperture priority, and I always have to keep the exposure compensation set to +1EV. Different metering modes and lenses don't have any effect. I've read about quite a few other people having this issue, but is it normal for that camera? Should I send it back for calibration? (it's still under warranty)... Thanks!

I used to have random exposure problems with my 6D.  Sometimes I would get over or under exposed shots  I suspect that it was entirely operator on my part.  I really do not know what the cause was.  But, I made a change in my shooting habits and the problem went away.  I began using BBF.  I suspect that my restless thumb may have been touching [AE Lock] from time to time.  Having cut my DSLR teeth on a Rebel, I was not used to having all of those buttons on the camera body, I guess.

I use Evaluative Metering nearly 100% time when I am shooting handheld.  The other metering modes are exact enough that you really need to be on a tripod to use them most effectively.  Also, be aware that you AF point selection can affect how the camera meters a scene.  For the most part, the camera will always use the center AF point.  Be aware of this behavior if you are not using the center AF point for focusing.  Your focusing point and metering point are not always one and the same.

Is your camera used or new?  If your camera is used, then I suggest going into the menus and resetting everything back to factory defaults.  You want to start off with the camera in a known state.  There are at leas three different places in the menus where you need to perform a “reset” to return the camera to its’ factory default state.

If you are still having any issues with a used camera, after resetting both the camera and your shooting habits, then you may want to consider sending the camera to Canon for a thorough clean and checkout.  In fact, this may be a good idea, anyway.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I've shot full auto, full manual, and everything in the middle. I've attempted a wide range of metering modes. What's more, it appears that particularly in cloudy climate, the RAWs are underexposed by about 0.5 - 1 f-stops. Most pessimistic scenarios should be knock up an entire 1.5 f-stops to get a decent picture.

To both of you the OP and the Me too, are you both using Canon brand lenses?  If you are, both of you need to call Canon support 1 (800) 652-2666.  They will instruct you what to do.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The camera was bought new. I use Canon OEM lenses (16-35L f/4, 24-105L f/4, 100-400 L Mk II), identical issue with all 3. And it's definitely underexposing, not just how it looks on the display - for example, if I take an image of a neutral medium grey concrete wall with 0 exposure compensation, the histogram is a single peak about 3/4 of the way to the left (the dark side). I guess the next step will be to contact Canon.... Thanks!

" I use Canon OEM lenses (16-35L f/4, 24-105L f/4, 100-400 L Mk II), identical issue with all 3."

Sorta makes the camera look guilty, doesn't it?

EB

Well, I talked to tech support and the camera is going back to Canon. I was hoping there would be an easy fix, but no such luck... thanks for the help

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
've shot full auto, full manual, and everything in the middle. I've attempted a wide range of metering modes. What's more, it appears that particularly in cloudy climate, the RAWs are underexposed by about 0.5 - 1 f-stops. Most pessimistic scenarios should be knock up an entire 1.5 f-stops to get a decent picture.

——————————————

You are hijacking someone’s thread.

One cause for under exposures is extra light reaching the metering sensor through the viewfinder.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for the "light through the viewfinder" suggestion, but that's not it. I just tried taking a few shots with the eyepiece completely covered up, and I'm still getting a 1EV underexposure. Oh well, time to call tech support 😞

"Thanks for the "light through the viewfinder" suggestion, but that's not it."

That had no chance of being the problem a waste of time. Do call Canon support.

EB
Announcements