cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6D mkII hot shoe tightening (how to)?

matthewdeering
Apprentice

I had the metal part of the hot shoe come loose on a 6D mkII. I took the metal cover off to tighten the screws but it looks like they are tightened from the inside? No screw heads. I've tightened them on my 5d and they were philips screws, anyone know if they changed the design for the 6D mkII?

IMG_8615.JPG

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

While I own the same body, I've not had to deal with this.  I believe however you are correct (based on what I've read).  You tighten the hot shoe from the inside > out. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Your camera needs repairing.

You have somehow broken the four screws that hold the hot shoe in place. The heads of the screws will be under the thin removable plate. You can slide it off using a small screwdriver

If you want to try and repair it yourself, you could do a search for “Canon hotshoe tightening”. 

597C8028-8A2C-46C0-93C0-31F781F9708C.jpeg

E9E2D117-F91D-42E1-9764-FA852743AB34.jpeg

Mike Sowsun

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... anyone know if they changed the design for the 6D mkII?"

This indicates, actually solidifies, you need to send it to Canon for repair.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Turn the metal unit over and see if there are threaded holes (which would indicate tightening from inside the camera) or sheared off screw heads sticking out.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements