cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6D ii won't power on

tammygentry
Apprentice

I used the camera most of the day yesterday with zero issues.  I charged the battery overnight to use for today's sessions.  When I put the battery in, it turned on, I reformatted the SD card, then turned it off.   Now it just won't turn on at all. I have 4 batteries - all Canon.  All are fully charged.  I also have a 5d Mark iii and all the batteries work in it.  I've cleaned the battery compartment and nothing seems out of order.  Any suggestions?

6 REPLIES 6

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Remove the battery then remove the SD card (and any other card if it has dual slots) and lens and leave them off.  Then reinsert the battery and see if you can power it on.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

tammygentry
Apprentice
I tried that :/. It just acts like it’s completely dead. So something is making it seem like there’s no battery. Guess it’s off to the camera shop!

It does sound like it is time for the repair shop.  

I haven't ever used a 6D series so I am not fully familiar with the battery pack or battery grip options but take a good look at the camera side contacts before you send it off HOWEVER it sounds like it is time for a visit to the good camera doctors at Canon.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

tammygentry
Apprentice
It takes the same battery at the mark 5d iii. So I compared the compartments and checked connectors, etc. o guess somethings just loose. It’s a pretty new camera so I’ll get it shipped :). Thank you!

The battery and card compartment doors have sensors to detect when the door is open, which will power down the camera.  But, I assume that you already know about those.  If you have a battery grip, make sure it is tightened down, or remove it.

If the troubles began immediately after formatting a card, try a new card.  Before you do, try to power up the camera without a card.  Observe what happens when you insert a card when the camera is powered down, which should cause the busy lamp to flicker a few times.

If you still do not see any signs of life after those quick tests, then a trip to Canon Service is needed.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

tammygentry
Apprentice
Thank you! It actually did happen after I formatted a card. I got the camera ready for the session, formatted the card, then turned it off. Then it wouldn’t turn on at the session. I am seeing no flicker from the busy lamp at this point. So I’ll definitwly get it sent!
Announcements