cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6D focus

Felixezema
Apprentice
Hi guys,
I have a Canon 6d, I can’t get sharp images on with my camera even at f16 & when shooting with natural light I don’t think enough light gets through cause in a well lit room I sometimes have to use iso2000 to get a useable exposure which.
I have tried the live view mode to focus, the in-camera micro focus adjustments & a tripod.

Lenses I own - Canon 50mm 1.4 & sigma 70-200mm 2.8.
I have also tried the Canon 50mm 1.8, 24-70mm 4.0
All struggled to produce sharp images.
6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Felixezema wrote:
Hi guys,
I have a Canon 6d, I can’t get sharp images on with my camera even at f16 & when shooting with natural light I don’t think enough light gets through cause in a well lit room I sometimes have to use iso2000 to get a useable exposure which.
I have tried the live view mode to focus, the in-camera micro focus adjustments & a tripod.

Lenses I own - Canon 50mm 1.4 & sigma 70-200mm 2.8.
I have also tried the Canon 50mm 1.8, 24-70mm 4.0
All struggled to produce sharp images.

What are your exposure settings, and can you post a sample photo, with EXIF data.

If you are shooting in low light, why are you using such a small aperture setting?  Most lenses have their best image quality at f/8.  Depending on your desired DOF, depth of field, you could probably shoot at f/4 with the 24mm lens, and still capture most of an average room in focus.

How fast is your shutter?  I suggest using a minimum shutter that is 1/FL, or faster.  That is one over the focal length, which is the rule of thumb to minimize the effects of camera shake.  Using a tripod will eliminate the question of camera shake.

What is wrong with ISO 2000?  Your camera should have excellent performance in low light.  This was shot with regular lighting in a bar.  Someone off to the left was shooting the woman on the left with a video camera with lights.

EOS 6D2017_05_068836.jpg

The above was shot at ISO 10000 or ISO 12800.  I think it was ISO 12800.  In either case, it was shot with a 6D and a Canon 70-200 at f/2.8 and a focal length of 200mm.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Felixezema
Apprentice
It wasn’t a low lit room, I shot at f1.4 & tried it on a 650D and got a good exposure at around iso400.
With strobe I can’t get a sharp image at even f16.

@Felixezema wrote:
It wasn’t a low lit room, I shot at f1.4 & tried it on a 650D and got a good exposure at around iso400.
With strobe I can’t get a sharp image at even f16.

That is meaningless to me.  You have ignored all of my questions.  A more complete description of your shooting conditions and exposure would be helpful.  Help someon to help you.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Go into MENU and reset all settings to default. Then be sure your autofocus micro adjustments are also back to zero. Sounds like there might be some weird setting either you or a previous owner introduced. Just reset and start over fresh. Then start with simple shots outside in the sun at normal apertures like f/4 and normal ISO like 100 or 200. See if it will take an easy picture then go from there. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Scotty is spot on, do this first.

"Go into MENU and reset all settings to default. Then be sure your autofocus micro adjustments are also back to zero. Sounds like there might be some weird setting either you or a previous owner introduced. Just reset and start over fresh."

After you do that, set the 6D to P mode. Go out side on a nice day and shot some easy shots with good contrast in them.  Let the 6D do all the work.  How do the pictures look?  If they look good, success. There isn't anything wrong with your 6D. If they still look terrible change lenses and try again.  Still look terrible, call Canon support 1 (800) 652-2666

Do not try this test with non-Canon lenses.

"Lenses I own - Canon 50mm 1.4 & sigma 70-200mm 2.8.
I have also tried the Canon 50mm 1.8, 24-70mm 4.0"

No Sigma, any of the others you are OK.

BTW, ignore any advice from others that don't tell you to do what Scotty and I recommend first.  Nobody here can analyse your shooting conditions with any certainty without seeing them

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

BTW, ignore any advice from others that don't tell you to do what Scotty and I recommend first. 

Really ??  I think made some good points too and he even posted a pic taken with a 6D to show what the camera can do.

Announcements