cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6D buttons suddenly stopped working

Shaheena
Apprentice

Hi there,

I am having trouble with my new Canon 6D, it's been only 3 months since I bought it & I have been using it since then. I took my camera to beach last evening & captured some shots. It was working totally fine. I came home & was going through the shots & suddenly the buttons stopped working. Firstly the 'Q' button & then I noticed the other buttons too including the Menu' button. Can any one help me with this? am an upcoming wedding photographer & I have already got few event shoots coming up. I am really in a panick right now.. Thanx in advance. 

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you are having problems after a visit to the beach, then that is reason to worry.  The beach is a camera hostile environment. Both the sand and the salt water are a threat, most especially any water mist and dust.  Sounds like you need to contact Canon Support, as soon as possible.

Make sure that the “LOCK” button on the rear panel is not in the lock position.  You could have a foreign object stuck in a button, too.  Check the action on every button.

Turn around from Canon Support is two weeks, at best.  It can run as high as six weeks during major holidays, like Christmas. You should look into renting a camera, if you have upcoming assignments over the next couple of weeks.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I took my camera to beach last evening & captured some shots."

Just how wet did the 6D get?  And, salt water wet?  Even some salt water spray? If it got salt water inside I am afraid the prognosis is not good.  Even after drying it out thoroughly, salt water is corrosive and will eventually take its toll. I have used my 1 series cameras at the beach several, many, times with no ill effect .  But the 6D is not very well sealed against adverse situations and water invasion is likely.

If it did not get wet, you need to call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666.  Actually, you need to call Canon anyway.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

romibustelo
Apprentice
Hi! I’m having the some problem, where you able to fix it?

"You need to call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666, too."

EB

Hello there, Hope my response below this post helps you.

romibustelo
Apprentice
were you able to fix it?

Shaheena
Apprentice

Hello there, Thankyou all for the response. I was able to fix my issue. Just had to give the camere for a full service. Got it cleaned & updated my firmware version as well. Seems one of my firmware file was corrupted. Not sure how this is possible considering the camera is new. Now it's working fine as usual. 

I also changed my memory card to Sandisk 90mb/s extreme. I was using a Sandisk 48mb/s card prior to this. Sometimes using a low speed memory card for a high end professional cameras like 6D & above can cause problems too if it's used for continuos shooting. 

Hope this message helps someone out there who might be facing similar issues. Man Happy

"Got it cleaned & updated my firmware version..."

Thiat is what 'fixed' it.  Anybody that owns "a high end professional cameras like 6D"Smiley Happy should consider regular maintenance just like any well used tool.

"... using a low speed memory card..."

It is best to use the card that Canon recommends in your manual.

EB
Announcements