cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6D ViewFinder Spot

sakibnaz
Contributor

Hi All.

I suddenly observed a cracked type spot while I am watching through ViewFinder on my 6D. I have attached a picture from my iPhone and the spot is red marked. The spot looks very abnormal ... looks something like a spider 😞

IMG_3729.JPG

I opened the Lens and give a swipe the mirror glass with microfiber cloth but still the spot is there.

The picture is Ok as its a problem of ViewFInder only.

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

20 REPLIES 20

Hi All.

I have replced the focusing screen on the 6D and still the fungus is there. So its not in the focusing screen. Then I changed it back to the original focusing screen. So here my 6D's fungus is in Mirror Glass inside focusing screen.

Any advice how to fix it? Is it possible to replace the Mirrir Glass?

Thanks.

@sakibnaz wrote:

Hi All.

I have replced the focusing screen on the 6D and still the fungus is there. So its not in the focusing screen. Then I changed it back to the original focusing screen. So here my 6D's fungus is in Mirror Glass inside focusing screen.

Any advice how to fix it? Is it possible to replace the Mirrir Glass?

Thanks.

The mirror is a precisely aligned piece of equipment.  I suggest that you let Canon clean it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

If the fungus is not on the focusing screen or the mirror glass, it could be inside the view finder or the superimposed display screen which is behind the focusing screen. It is not difficult to remove but not easy to put it back in place.

Send the camera to Canon repair asap before the fungus spreads out in the camera..

SD.jpg

@lly3988 wrote:

If the fungus is not on the focusing screen or the mirrow glass, it could be inside the view finder or the superimposed display screen which is behind the focusing screen. It is not difficult to remove but not easy to put it back in place. ...

Not easy, but certainly not impossible. I've done it on two different DSLRs, back in the "Katzeye" days. It does require some manual dexterity, and having small fingers (as I do) probably helps.

But I think if I had it to do today, I'd follow your advice and send the camera back to Canon. They should at least know how to kill off the fungus without doing any further damage to the screen.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hi.

The fungus is not in focusing screen. Initially when opened the lens I observed the fungus spot looks like in focusing screen. But when I opened the focusing screen then found the spot is mainly in the glass which is behind the focusing screen. Is it the mirror glass?

Is it possible to clean the fungus from the glass behind focusing screen? Or need to repalce the glass?

Tahnks.

@sakibnaz wrote:

Hi.

The fungus is not in focusing screen. Initially when opened the lens I observed the fungus spot looks like in focusing screen. But when I opened the focusing screen then found the spot is mainly in the glass which is behind the focusing screen. Is it the mirror glass?

Is it possible to clean the fungus from the glass behind focusing screen? Or need to repalce the glass?

Tahnks.

You need to let a professional do it.  They can disassemble the parts, clean them separately, and re-align it all.  Can you?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Agreed. It's not impossible. One has to be careful to install the shims/spacers back in place. That's the only tricky part.

Removing molds/fungus from glass is easy. I used a 50/50 mixture of amonia and nitrogen hydrogen peroxide (see correction) and dip the elements into the solution and rub then a bit and the molds/fungus can normally be removed. (Molds/fungus will eat up the coatings of the glass if they have been there for too long)

Cleaning plastic screens with the above solution is not the right way. A blower will remove the dusts but any solutions like alcohol or the above mentioned mixture will leave behind streaks and rubbing will make thing worse. So the only way is to replace them. Cost of screen alone is inexpensive but the additional costs of postage, labor and time are really something.

So, unless you can handle it, send the camera to Canon repair facility for service. BTW, before sending the camera to Canon, after removing the focusing screen, give a few blows to the SD screen and see what's the difference.

Also, I suspect the fungus is inside the view finder, check out the last pic in the post attached

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=30851.0

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@lly3988 wrote:

If the fungus is not on the focusing screen or the mirrow glass, it could be inside the view finder or the superimposed display screen which is behind the focusing screen. It is not difficult to remove but not easy to put it back in place. ...

Not easy, but certainly not impossible. I've done it on two different DSLRs, back in the "Katzeye" days. It does require some manual dexterity, and having small fingers (as I do) probably helps.

But I think if I had it to do today, I'd follow your advice and send the camera back to Canon. They should at least know how to kill off the fungus without doing any further damage to the screen.

"Nitrogen peroxide"? https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/3032552#section=Top

Do you mean hydrogen peroxide?

This is one of those slips that can kill somebody.

Hi All.

Thanks for all the communication here.

Finally troday I cleaned by 6D Fungus on Mirror from a Canon authorised Service center 😉

Reagrds.

@sakibnaz wrote:

Hi All.

Thanks for all the communication here.

Finally troday I cleaned by 6D Fungus on Mirror from a Canon authorised Service center 😉

Reagrds.

A wise decision, I think. A 6D is a good enough camera that one wants the job done right.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements