Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6D Underexposed Images

catz
Contributor

Canon 6D

24 - 105mm f/4L IS USM

Raw

All of my photos are coming out dark and underexposed.  I'm using the light meter inside the view finder after pressing the shutter button half way.  It'a always to the left in the negative.  I adjust to Zero but the settings seem ridiculous.   

Is my camera damaged?    I just bought it three weeks ago so perhaps something is wrong with my body.   

I'm getting better images when using Creative Auto than in Manual with same settings. 

My T5I is getting better images than the new 6D.

Something feels wrong

15 REPLIES 15

cicopo
Elite

We'll need a better explanation of how you are shooting. Mode, conditions etc.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Agree on needing more info. Can you post a shot with EXIF data so we can see the settings?

Try resetting all camera function to factory default. Its a menu option.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

For what reason are you shooting Manual?  Do you use Tv and Av mode and if so do they work?   It seems unusual to exclusively use 2 settings as different as full Manual and then Creative Auto. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

I always shoot manual with my 6D too and have found it takes some getting used to to get the exposure right under certain conditions. I have heard the same thing from other 6D owners as well.

You mention the meter is to the left so you adjust it to center and the "settings seem ridiculous". What does that mean? Are you using center point focus or all?

Meaning my ISO is at 400 or above no matter what and it's driving me crazy.      I should be able to shoot some things at 100 but it's always dark.   The only way the light meter stays in the center with 100 ISO is if I bring my Shutter down to 30 or 40.   I'm trying to shoot animals and I need my shutter at like 200 or above.      I'm hating this camera.  

@catz wrote:

Meaning my ISO is at 400 or above no matter what and it's driving me crazy.      I should be able to shoot some things at 100 but it's always dark.   The only way the light meter stays in the center with 100 ISO is if I bring my Shutter down to 30 or 40.   I'm trying to shoot animals and I need my shutter at like 200 or above.      I'm hating this camera.  

That's easy to fix. Raise your ISO.  Don't shoot at 100.  Shoot in Tv mode, dial in a shutter speed, and let the camera figure out the ISO automatically for each photo. 

BTW, where is your F/STOP during all of this?  I would think a setting between f/4 and f/8 should be adequate, for either stationary animals of moderate size, or even if they are moving not too quickly.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"I'm hating this camera."

Exposure is exposure.  It doesn't change or switch camera to camera.  It is a constant.  f4 @ 1/125, ISO 100 is exactly the same amount of exposure no mantter what camera you have.

Like Tim Campbell, I have not heard of any complaints about the 6D exposure wise.  I have other issues with it but exposure is not one of them.

Posibly a sample with exif attached would clear up some stuff.  Can you offer one?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@catz wrote:

No reason to 'hate' the camera.

The camera isn't creating the lighting and required exposure.

Getting a different camera isn't going to change the lighting and the required exposure.

The amount of light you have determines the ISO, shutter speed and aperture required for a given exposure not the camera. 

@catz wrote:

Exposure is a combination of ISO, Aperture value (aka f-stop), and Time value (aka shutter speed).  

You can certainly shoot at ISO 100 when in brightly lit situations (such as outdoors on a sunny day.)  In dimmer lighting, you'll need to boost the ISO to avoid long exposure times (especially if you want a higher f-stop for broad depth of field.)

There isn't any issue with the 6D in general (there are a lot of happy 6D owners out there and I don't hear about this issue from other owners) and given that your camera seems to do ok if in other modes, I'm wondering if you might be confused by some aspect of manual exposure.

If you are struggling with aspects of manual exposure then you might want to pick up a book such as Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure".

You can also always post a photo and we can check the camera settings -- but make sure you include the EXIF data which is normally embedded into the image by the camera.  Some software strips that data out (or at least has an option to include/remove the info.)  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements