cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6D Mk II Raw Files Come Out Magenta in HDR Software

JuanNOnly
Contributor

When I load a single CR2 file from my 6D Mk II into HDR software (have tried several), the image comes out VERY magenta.  Why is that? It's fine in Digital Photo Professional.

IMG_2260-HDR-500.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello there ! 

I got the exact same problem when trying to open my Raw files into "Affinity Photo" with my 6D MkII

I belive it's only due to the fact the camera is brand new and that not is set in the different programs to open the raw files yet 

I will stay focus if any suggestions pop-up in the forum for any "plug-in" or "update" would fix this once it for all .

(sorry for my poor english)

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You’re only loading a single file into your HDR software?

Your image either has the White Balance completely set wrong, or the image sensor is failing.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for the reply, Waddizzle. It's very common to load a single raw file into HDR software, because they have such a large dynamic range.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the white balance or the sensor because the images are fine when loaded into DPP and the JPEGs coming out of the camera are also fine. There must be something different about the format of CR2 files from the 6D Mk II that the HDR software can't yet handle; I don't get this problem with raw files from my 50D.

Your HDR software needs an update. That is not Canon’s responsibility.

@JuanNOnly wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Waddizzle. It's very common to load a single raw file into HDR software, because they have such a large dynamic range.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the white balance or the sensor because the images are fine when loaded into DPP and the JPEGs coming out of the camera are also fine. There must be something different about the format of CR2 files from the 6D Mk II that the HDR software can't yet handle; I don't get this problem with raw files from my 50D.

Yeah, OK, that additional information does suggest that there's probably nothing wrong with the sensor.

But what "HDR software" are you using, and what can it usefully do with only one RAW file? The whole idea of HDR processing is to build a picture out of more than one (usually at least three) separate images, to compensate for the fact that the dynamic range of the camera is less than that of the scene. To me (no HDR expert), your observation that "It's very common to load a single raw file into HDR software, because they have such a large dynamic range" sounds nonsensical. Please elaborate, so that I can learn something new.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

Yeah, OK, that additional information does suggest that there's probably nothing wrong with the sensor.

But what "HDR software" are you using, and what can it usefully do with only one RAW file? The whole idea of HDR processing is to build a picture out of more than one (usually at least three) separate images, to compensate for the fact that the dynamic range of the camera is less than that of the scene. To me (no HDR expert), your observation that "It's very common to load a single raw file into HDR software, because they have such a large dynamic range" sounds nonsensical. Please elaborate, so that I can learn something new.

Hi, Robert:

So if you want to capture the full dynamic range of a scene you might, for example, take a shot at what your meter recommends, another 2 EV below that and another 2 EV above. You could then take the three jpeg files and load them into HDR software. However, a single raw file can cover this whole range, so you can just load that and the software will figure it out. There are two major advantages to this: 1) You don't need a tripod; 2) You don't have to worry about ghosting. Sure, there will be scenes that have a range that exceeds what a single raw file can handle, and bracketed shots would be appropriate for those cases. Hope that helps explain it.

Juan

@JuanNOnly wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

Hi, Robert:

So if you want to capture the full dynamic range of a scene you might, for example, take a shot at what your meter recommends, another 2 EV below that and another 2 EV above. You could then take the three jpeg files and load them into HDR software. However, a single raw file can cover this whole range, so you can just load that and the software will figure it out. There are two major advantages to this: 1) You don't need a tripod; 2) You don't have to worry about ghosting. Sure, there will be scenes that have a range that exceeds what a single raw file can handle, and bracketed shots would be appropriate for those cases. Hope that helps explain it.

Juan

What software are you using?  Supplying only one image is not gaining you anything. 

Many of my HDR shot sequences are not always centered around 0 Ev.  I put less trust in the camera metering, and more trust in a test exposure and the in-camera histogram.  

@Waddizzle wrote:

What software are you using?  Supplying only one image is not gaining you anything. 

Many of my HDR shot sequences are not always centered around 0 Ev.  I put less trust in the camera metering, and more trust in a test exposure and the in-camera histogram.  

I'm demo'ing different HDR software: EasyHDR, Oloneo HDRengine and SNS-HDR.

I think WN and Peter got it right: I think the file format is too new for the software.

I FIXED MY PROBLEM !!!

Ok so this came from the "Affinity Photo" help services : 

Hi Jean,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Which operating system are you using?  If you happen to be running MacOS and High Sierra, then if you switch the RAW engine to Apple Core Image RAW then you can already open those file in Affinity.  To do this, open a RAW image and then click View>Assistant Manager and then change the RAW Engine to Apple (Core Image RAW).  If you then close the RAW file file and reopen it, it should now display fine.

If you are on Windows or using a different version of MacOS, then you will need to wait until support for that camera to be added to the RAW list we use, when this would be i honestly do not know.

SO : for mac users -> you should upgrade to High Sierra Os 
Windows users -> bad luck .. You'll have to wait until further notice 

i did upgrade my laptop and every .CR2 file is now exploitable normaly on every app or even in the finder 

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

How does the HDR software react if you load up a single JPG or TIFF image? How about if you load up multiple RAW files?

Announcements