cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6D Mk II Extracting Stills from video frames IN CAMERA: not in post production processing

coldwaterjohn
Contributor

Is there some way I have yet to discover to extract jpgs as still images from video shot on the 6D Mk II, or is it only possibly post production in Photoshop or equivalent? 

On a video shot on a Panasonic Lumix for example, pausing video on a particular frame, then gives you the option to extract a still from the pause frame.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

You cannot do in camera frame grabs from video (regular or time-lapse) on the 6D2.

This feature is available on the 5D4 and higher 1D bodies.  

You can use the EOS Movie Utility to capture images however (post production only).

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

You cannot do in camera frame grabs from video (regular or time-lapse) on the 6D2.

This feature is available on the 5D4 and higher 1D bodies.  

You can use the EOS Movie Utility to capture images however (post production only).

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Rick

I have downloaded the EOS Movie Utility, and using the EOS Utility transferred an MP4 movie file from Canon 6D MkII to my p.c.

However the Movie Utility will not upload that MP4 file, which seems odd, given that it is Canon software and the MP4 file format is also from a Canon camera?

Any idea what's going on there?

@coldwaterjohn wrote:

Rick

I have downloaded the EOS Movie Utility, and using the EOS Utility transferred an MP4 movie file from Canon 6D MkII to my p.c.

However the Movie Utility will not upload that MP4 file, which seems odd, given that it is Canon software and the MP4 file format is also from a Canon camera?

Any idea what's going on there?

If you are trying to upload files from your PC to the camera, not only are you prohibited from doing that, but if you write files to the memory card using a card reader on your PC, then the camera should recognize, or see, those files.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

There does not appear to be a provision to grab a single frame.  You would have to do it in post.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you - as I had guessed! It would be a nice-to-have feature when they upgrade the software...
Announcements